03-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bmw N20 Engine Issues

BMW N20 Engine Issues
(And the history of my 2012 BMW E84 X1 28i)

I just want to bring to the attention of all the owners of a 2012-2015 BMW N20 engine, my experience with my car and few things to take into consideration if you either own, or plan to buy a vehicle with an N20 engine.

GENERAL PRESENTATION

I own a 2012 BMW X1 28i E84 / 8 Speed ZF Transmission, equipped with all the options and packages available at the time. The vehicle was one of the very few first ones that reached North American soil.
We have waited long time for this vehicle to show up in Canada. My wife does not like bigger cars and models like X3 or especially X4 (which I personally love) were disqualified. We don’t really like the sedans and we love the hatch kind of vehicles for their versatility and design. They were always our choice in Europe and we have waited for the 1 Series hatchbacks or the X1 to show up in Canada.
Due to the Canadian weather and long snowy winters, X1 proved to be a perfect match for our family dimensions, usage and design. My family in Europe had an X1 so we were very familiar with the vehicle. I have very close ties with BMW and I am a BMW fan so as soon as the new X1 showed up, I was one of the first in North America to buy one. Bottom line, we had the opportunity to buy this little X1 and we love everything about it: the color (Sparkling Bronze Metallic), the options, and the wonderful Beige Nevada leather interior; I am a sucker for light colored interiors and love the look and the brightness they bring into the cabin (my last Jaguar was in white interior).
The vehicle came loaded with things that were available to very few X1’s or never available later. For example the Harman Kardon system was limited and later not offered in a 28i anymore, being offered only on the 35i model. Except for full 3M that literally covers half of the car (including headlamps, fog lamps, lips, etc.), special order 4 square setup M 355 wheels and Continental DWS tires, the vehicle is stock.

WARRANTY

In Canada, a BMW vehicle comes with 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever occurs first.
For my peace of mind I have bought also on day one an Extra Warranty for 6 years or 120,000km for a cost of approximately $3500CAD. This also works as “whichever occurs first”.

MAINTENANCE

The vehicle was bought from the dealership and ALWAYS serviced by the same dealership. Actually I am so OCD about my cars that I only book the service with the same technician which is also the shop foreman of the service department. Since new, the vehicle was seen and serviced by the same technician only. Regardless of BMW suggestions and free oil change free, I have changed the oil every 5,000 km or so. Sometimes due to weather circumstances I replaced the oil at 7-8,000 km but never reached over 10,000 km or rely on BMW “suggestions”. I don’t know, maybe I am paranoid but as a car guy I always kept my cars in a pristine shape and considered that the oil, the fuel and the engine filters are the life of the engine. I was never a cheap guy and maintenance for me is a religious thing. The dealership knows very well the car as well as they are not allowed to drive it, wash it or touch it except the tech which I trust to work on it. The gasoline that I used was always the highest octane grade available, usually Shell. Sometimes I have put 94 from Esso or PetroCanada. In Europe we have 98 but I know that there is a difference in regards with the RON and MON so that was not an issue. I found however that the vehicle shakes for a few seconds with 91 octane in the winter at the cold start, but that never occurs with the 94 octane , so I started to use 94 (as per my mechanic suggestion) lately in the winter. Otherwise I do prefer Shell due to its clean additives. However, I always buy from the dealership few original cans of BMW fuel additive to eliminate condensation and help in the winter.
The engine is washed twice a year, spring and fall.

Sorry for my long description, just wanted to reiterate that everything was done by the book in terms of fuel and maintenance, which are the key to a healthy and well maintained engine.

Pictures with my vehicle right before replacing the engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-19-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

THE ISSUE

I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION THAT EXCEPT FEW RECALLS, THE VEHICLE WAS TROUBLE FREE BETWEEEN 0 AND 80,015 KM ! IT WAS WONDERFUL!

In all its life until the engine failure, I have experienced twice a limp mode issue. These two events both happened in the evening and went away by themselves next morning. Was this an early sign of engine failure? Maybe. But in both cases I went to the dealership right the next day to check and nothing appeared on the on board computer history.

Last October 2018, I have experienced a limp mode on my way home. Called the dealership right from the car and booked an emergency appointment the very next day.
The vehicle went on the hoist and checked. The codes confirmed that valve timing issues have occurred due to snapped/broken timing chain.
After the reading the technician called me and asked for resolution. Obviously, I have ordered the chain assembly. Estimated cost of repair including parts and labour: around 4,000 CAD. I give them a green light to proceed.

The part arrived few days later so the dismantling begun. After a few hours the technician called me that I should stop by as the vehicle has a bigger problem than initial assessment. As per technicians notes
“Replacement engine is now required due to sheared off timing chain guide securing screw. Section of engine bed plate is damaged and compromised with metal debris observed through the motor oil and mechanical components”.
Voila!
I need a new engine!
Due to a severed pin that was part of the engine block, now I need to buy a new engine. COOL!
Price? $27,000 CAD

Pictures with the issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-19-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BMW’s APROACH AND RESOLUTION

At this point, everyone was baffled, including my tech who was shocked knowing the history of the car and how it was maintained. Dealership’s Service Manager got involved, I have also I started to read and found out that this is in fact a common issue with this engine.

NOTE:
My warranty expired since the 6 years has passed. The vehicle is a 2012 but was put on the road in 2011. Obviously, we put a little bit more than 10,000km/year, but, that didn’t matter!

I also started to call BMW Canada. After few phone conversations, I have managed to reach the guy in charge with this kind of resolutions.
His answer: “The vehicle is not in warranty so unfortunately there is nothing I can do for you!”
He also stated that “there are cases like yours and we never give them anything!” Nice, isn’t it?

Of course I was shocked by this nonsense so I asked if what he is actually telling me is that the BMW cars last only what warranty suggests: 80,000 km. He replied –obviously- that that is not what he is saying.
Anyway, long story short, BMW Germany suggested me to reconnect with BMW Canada so they will also try to let them know that they need to contact me.
After few very tough conversations, including my very serious intent to open a legal case and install huge stickers on my car that “MY engine died at 80,000 km”, BMW agreed to send an inspector to the dealership to assess the overall status of vehicle, the damage and the history of the vehicle.
Of course, the inspector showed up, searching for every little fault in my history. In my case, he run out of luck! As the service manager told him “you will not find one little problem in this guy’s history as his maintenance is flawless and the vehicle is overly maintained.” After the assessment they told me that BMW Canada will get back to us with a resolution.
They called me and proposed me to accept a 30% of the engine cost replacement from their part. I asked how much an engine replacement is. I have never replaced an engine so I was expecting a 6-7-8,000 price tag. I was informed that they do have few REFURBISHED engines that are available. The cost of one is 24,000 CAD!
Now, what hit me the most was the word REFURBISHED. What do you mean refurbished? What’s the history of that engine, who did the maintenance, what’s the mileage, how was broken in at the beginning? I said NO. There is no way I will install a refurbished engine in my car. They said that that’s what they have.
I have called my tech and service manager and with the wonderful guy from parts we found out that there are two brand new N20 engines left in Germany. I asked how much. The answer was quick from Germany: $27,000 CAD. Without hesitation I provided the Credit card and asked them to buy it right away.
After a long conversation with BMW Canada and a true fight from my dealership department BMW agreed to pay 50% of the cost of the engine replacement.
In the end, I paid 13,500 CAD for my brand new engine.
The process took a month. It was a painful and a very stressful process for me, yet, in the end I am glad that my vehicle was fixed.
At this moment, I have little over 5,000km on the new engine that is treated properly, with love, care and a proper break in period. At least, with the new engine I also received the new water pump and its assembly (another well known issue and suggested kit once the chain assembly gets replaced).

Pictures with the new engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-19-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BMW knows the issue, yet it does nothing!

A simple search on google will bring you a ton of information in regards with the N20 engine issue. Please see the links with few articles attached for reference.
BMW knew about this problem, yet they did not issue a recall process for this.
The chain assembly is mounted on a plastic guide rail system that –obviously- is prone to wear and breaks easy.
BMW however, quietly acknowledged that there is a big issue with this chain assembly. For this reason starting January 1st, 2015, they have replaced the old orange chain guidance assembly with a new redesigned white one. Hopefully this is a better one!?

http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/au...nents-n26-too/

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/

WHY WE DECIDED TO KEEP OUR X1

We usually keep our vehicles since they are not abused and very well maintained. We always buy the “as loaded as possible” kind of cars and we enjoy them.
To list just a few, the vehicle came with Panoramic Roof, Comfort Access with Professional Navigation System, Interior mirror with Automatic dip and compass, Bluetooth and Voice Control, Heated electric seats with memory and lumbar support for driver and passenger, Harman Kardon Sound System with Logic 7 surround and DSP Amplifier (and a digital sound equalizer!), Adaptive headlamps with High Beam Assist, In-dash HDD, Phone charger and Automatic Phone antenna, BMW teleservices, BMW APPS, Smartphone integration, Park Distance Control, Hill descent Control, Rain sensor, Adaptive Cruise, Fog Lights, Sport Multifunction Leather Heated Steering Wheel, Alarm System, Tinted windows, Front and Rear Fog lights, etc.

This process though pushed us to look around for a new replacement. The new X1 is a total failure for both of us. For me, as a BMW fan, the new X1 is just a terrible vehicle compared with the E84. I will probably come one day with a true comparo as we had the new X1 for over a month in our garage.
The funny thing is, my wife (which is not a car knowledgeable girl) hates the interior, the fit and finish, the seat position, the “cheap plastic”, the cut corners and other things, and mostly the instability of the vehicle that is unable to attack a curve at the same speed that the E84 can.

For some people what I did might sound nuts. But everyone who knows the car, including my technician, said that this car deserves a new engine. I also got offers once the new engine was installed.
Well, the vehicle is in an absolutely wonderful shape inside and out. I am replacing the mud flaps every 3 years, I just replaced my under shields last year because that’s how I felt (I know, crazy, right?) - (BTW, BMW replaced those with a new model since the old ones were getting soaked in water and smelly after a car wash), I replaced my M wheels with a brand new set last fall as well due to some little chips on the rims. I buy new tires every two years regardless of mileage (usually 70% worn out), etc.
Even if I want to sell it, I needed an engine.
My car is worth right now maybe 25,000 but let's say 22,000 CAD. Prices vary between 16,000 to 25,000 CAD depending on shape, mileage and equipment. The vehicle is loaded with things that very very few X1 were equipped with especially 28i.
Even if I lose the 13,500 CAD for the engine, at least I can sell it and recuperate some money.
But, that is not the point. The point is that this car is like new and right now has a new engine. There is nothing that we like (the new ones are FWD base) so, why should I sell it?
The single one that might work for us is either the Jaguar E-Pace or maybe the new X2 M35i which I never drove yet. At least will come with some power, new seats, and hopefully some better equipment. Our E84 however, still retains the RWD biased AWD system, has a very accurate responsive steering wheel and is a very capable little car. Still love it.

Bottom line, I love BMW's and the way the drive (some ) Almost all my family drives Audi’s, mostly A5 or S5 and they still don’t get it why on Earth I am still looking at BMW, especially after a such horrific experience and poor treatment from BMW’s part. Well, I am many times critical in this forum, mostly in the hopes that BMW will listen to our requests or comments. But I love BMW and still look at them. I am a true fan I guess…

CONCLUSION

I believe that BMW should have issued a recall for this problem. But they didn’t. Many owners that had a similar issue ended up by replacing the engine with a used one from God knows where, and some literally throwing the vehicle in the garbage. Pretty sad, and a very bad scar in BMW’s face.
I have owned many cars in my life, including some that were known as not being the most reliable, but not even the cheapest car that I ever own in my life as a teenager did not have an engine that literally died on me and needed a replacement. And I can include in here Citroen, Renault or Alfa which were somewhat unreliable or really bad (Alfa).

I strongly believe that a vehicle with 80,000km on board should not have such issue. I also believe that BMW treated me (and all others in a similar situation) very poorly, and that given the level of maintenance that I put in this vehicle BMW should have replaced this engine quietly and with no fuss. I also believe that a vehicle that cost so much and pretends that has a premium image and quality should be at that level; obviously was not. Otherwise, I suggest that they disclose that their vehicles are good only through the warranty and nothing more.
For this reason, I have joined the Class Action process that started against BMW. I would like BMW to pay me back all the money that I have spent on this new engine.

I strongly suggest that everyone that owns a BMW with a N20 engine - X1, X3, X4, 3 series or whatever - that was manufactured between 2011 and 2015, to go check and maybe replace your chain assembly.

It is not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Enjoy your ride.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-20-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

wow, what a story !!! 13K is not that bad if you really love the car, is almost like buying another used car that you have not idea the history of. i think it was a good choice to make.

My understanding is that there was also changes for vehicle made 03/2013 as there is TSB for a replacement of the same parts, and there seem to be changes again in 2015. but is unk why there is a change in 2015. no TSB issue .

i think if you have a 2013 and below the risk is even higher. mine is 2015 made in 2014 hopefully it will be ok.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
wow, what a story !!! 13K is not that bad if you really love the car, is almost like buying another used car that you have not idea the history of. i think it was a good choice to make.

My understanding is that there was also changes for vehicle made 03/2013 as there is TSB for a replacement of the same parts, and there seem to be changes again in 2015. but is unk why there is a change in 2015. no TSB issue .

i think if you have a 2013 and below the risk is even higher. mine is 2015 made in 2014 hopefully it will be ok.
I am not aware of the mentioned TSB. I will however check the chain assembly if possible. However, even a check may not provide a proper insight as might look ok now and snap later.
The thing is, probably I wouldn’t be upset about a chain assembly as I am for the fact that the chain severed the pin leaving me with a very expensive bill. As we can see in here, there is no pattern; some engines give up at 120,000 miles while mine (overly maintained too) gave upat 50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Wow. Really sorry to read your experience.
If anything it goes to show there are really no indicative symptoms that leads to engine failure. Your over maintenance on the car prooves that. While there are countless that thrashes theirs are still enjoying it.
The N20 engine is used in most of BMW's models across the globe. While it certainly doesn't help, statistically this chain guide failure is very low. A couple years ago, I spoke with our local BMW tech and their dealership had yet to see N20 guide issue. That said, he knows about this issue echoed in the internet.
He advises to avoid using ASS and reduce OCI. The former's start-stop cycle adds stress to the chains (plus other areas). Just imagine starting up and stopping the engine on a traditional engine at each traffic light/stop sign. Do the math.
Also turbo engines need good fresh synthetic oil which OP has done.
As you have deduced, there are no well documented cause and effect that leads to this problem.

You have a nice clean car, I can understand why you did what you did. But at a cool $27k, I will be thinking of other options. Kudos to your persistent to get it reduced! Current local listings of e84 X1 in that vintage is about 14-18k for non-Sport trims. With the M Sport topping at around 20-22k....CDN.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      03-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
BeeHemDoubleU IksWane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
BMW’s APROACH AND RESOLUTION
!

I also started to call BMW Canada. After few phone conversations, I have managed to reach the guy in charge with this kind of resolutions.
His answer: “The vehicle is not in warranty so unfortunately there is nothing I can do for you!”
He also stated that “there are cases like yours and we never give them anything!” Nice, isn’t it?
Scumbags . 100% untrue. They told me the same thing at first. I fought them for months. I was ready to take legal actions.

End result? Brand New engine FREE. I paid labor, thats it. 3.5K canadian.

They are a fraud. Plain and simple.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Update. Few pictures taken by the BMW Service Department at the moment when they discovered the problem.

A plastic guide on a "luxury" machine.

BMW stays quiet in the meantime...

Broken Motoren Werke
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Wow! I knew the timing chain/guide was an issue w/ Minis. I think I heard/read something about a class action in place/going in place against BMW for this. Is this limited to the N20 or is the N55 also at risk?
      04-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
A plastic guide on a "luxury" machine.
Audi:

Mercedes Benz:

Range Rover:

Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      04-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
kringer2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

Yup they are all going Plastic. Saves them money and lasts the warranty. When it fails not their problem.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      04-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #13
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Most modern timing chain guide are plastics. Accept it.
When subaru switched it manifold from iron to plastic owners when ape shit. Only to find out 911s have been using it for while.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      04-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
mreric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

https://bmwtechnician.com/2019/01/31...ain-7-70-list/

check this out, see if your engine fall into this category
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      04-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
D3nns4un
Rep
Drives: 2012 x1 28i

Interesting that OP's e84 build date would NOT fall in the 7/70 authorization list...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nns4un View Post
Interesting that OP's e84 build date would NOT fall in the 7/70 authorization list...
The Canadian models came much earlier than US. US started to receive the E84 X1 almost one year later than Canada.
Secondly, BMW -obviously- is more careful with the US market and very ignoring with the Canadian one.
The 7/70 bulletin is for US customers only (Canada is in metric), a blatant discrimination between the two markets regardless that the vehicle is the same. This will not look good in the eyes of the Court.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Even the 7/70 extension does not really help in some cases as many experience the failure at 80,000 or more.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/

https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/08/02...-bmw-bulletin/
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Most modern timing chain guide are plastics. Accept it.
When subaru switched it manifold from iron to plastic owners when ape shit. Only to find out 911s have been using it for while.
There are plastics and plastics.
A thorough and very long and stressful testing procedure helps in a long run.
This is usually the German vehicles problem: they are always in rush to throw things in without a proper testing.
And this is why all the Japanese are more reliable; they are a little behind in some areas because they use only proven reliable technology. Or they take it and make it better.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #19
D3nns4un
Rep
Drives: 2012 x1 28i

For some reason I though Andreas was German, didn’t realize the SI was a US market specific list. Your theory checks out.

I’m Canadian, and own a MY12. Went to BMW with this last spring (pre 7/70, not that BMW Canada is doing anything) and they suggested I buy a new car. First bmw, last bmw.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #20
Klay00ven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

Unhappy Incredible — déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
BMW knows the issue, yet it does nothing!

A simple search on google will bring you a ton of information in regards with the N20 engine issue. Please see the links with few articles attached for reference.
BMW knew about this problem, yet they did not issue a recall process for this.
The chain assembly is mounted on a plastic guide rail system that –obviously- is prone to wear and breaks easy...

I strongly believe that a vehicle with 80,000km on board should not have such issue. I also believe that BMW treated me (and all others in a similar situation) very poorly, and that given the level of maintenance that I put in this vehicle BMW should have replaced this engine quietly and with no fuss. I also believe that a vehicle that cost so much and pretends that has a premium image and quality should be at that level; obviously was not. Otherwise, I suggest that they disclose that their vehicles are good only through the warranty and nothing more.
For this reason, I have joined the Class Action process that started against BMW. I would like BMW to pay me back all the money that I have spent on this new engine.

I strongly suggest that everyone that owns a BMW with a N20 engine - X1, X3, X4, 3 series or whatever - that was manufactured between 2011 and 2015, to go check and maybe replace your chain assembly.

It is not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Enjoy your ride.
Simply stunned at how similar our experiences have been. I have a 2012 X1. It’s been in the family - same city/province - and I am the second owner. Just had the engine replaced - purchased used OEM/low kms from BC; this, after the turbo replaced by BMW approx 4 years ago at their expense. ‘New’ engine installed Nov 2019 was fine for months, then malfunction/reduced output message & engine light on/off, & fuel pump error starting to recur — seems more prevalent in hotter weather. All post warranty service has been completed by an BMW-authorized shop. I hope the new N20 & water pump do the trick in your case.
Main reasons I’m willing to fix this car: it is a beautiful vehicle to drive, great size, & otherwise paid off.

Last edited by Klay00ven; 09-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Shortened quote
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #21
dave14x28
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x28i

Teutonic, curious to hear how your saga has played out...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave14x28 View Post
Teutonic, curious to hear how your saga has played out...
Started a legal case but long story short, got mo expenses back.
Appreciate 0