XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

03-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by squelchy451 View Post
- The presence or lack of eLSD shouldn't really matter. It's not a mechanical system, but is clutch based, and as such, shows a degree of hesitation or lag, and could pose headaches down the line
- As most people have said, a Golf R is overkill and may not have the same lively feel as the FWD GTI.
Except it's not an eLSD. It's a mechanical LSD. Clutches are mechanical, not electronic.

Different years have included it different levels. When I bought my '17, the Sport included it, with cloth seats, but it didn't have a sunroof, auto lights and wipers or a few other options that my SE had, but I was forced into pleather.

My 18 SE had the option for cloth seats, but lost the Fender audio, which was nice, much better than the stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #24
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Just a FYI: They are actually leather seats in the upper trim models. If it's a base car (S), it'll have the cloth plaid seats.

Yes, they are a bit difficult to come bye. Just keep looking and good luck!
I already figured unless we talking about limited editions such as Sport, Rabbit etc., (which are typically placed in between levels, as for 2019 rabbit is between S and SE right below Autobahn)
as I mentioned leather and sunroof is ok, it won't be a deal breaker if I'll find one with those options.

I'll be keep looking, there is still time
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Leather is only in the Autobahn models, the SE will be pleather. Although neither is of particularly high quality, Dakota as bad as it is is likely nicer than the AB "leather."

But the real answer is cloth, it's literally and figuratively cooler than either real or fake cow. Plus heated seats with cloth is kick ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #26
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Leather is only in the Autobahn models, the SE will be pleather. Although neither is of particularly high quality, Dakota as bad as it is is likely nicer than the AB "leather."

But the real answer is cloth, it's literally and figuratively cooler than either real or fake cow. Plus heated seats with cloth is kick ass.
If u look at the example I posted earlier it has leather and its SE model (although I'm not sure what kind of leather), I guess there are so many different variations with VW

I vote for GTI heritage
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:

If u look at the example I posted earlier it has leather and its SE model (although I'm not sure what kind of leather), I guess there are so many different variations with VW

I vote for GTI heritage
SE are vinyl all around or cloth. AB are actual leather seating surfaces with vinyl sides and backs. It's not a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #28
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have a MKVII GTI S that I use all year round. While my 1er is stored for the winter, the GTI is just such a fun car that I really don't suffer not being able to drive my 1er.
Used GTI S is a great value!
      03-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #29
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I already own BMW

back to the roots, had few dubs before...
I am enjoying my Golf Sportwagon. Too bad it ain’t the 2.0, and why in the world VW does this crap. However, a tune and suspension rework along with bigger wheels ‘enhanced’ the car by a mile.
Now all I need is an E30 M3 and will complete my collection. No scratch that.
An E30 ‘M3 and an F90 M5 will complete my collection. I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #30
squelchy451
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Except it's not an eLSD. It's a mechanical LSD. Clutches are mechanical, not electronic.

Yeah, of course they operate mechanically on a fundamental level, but this is not like a helical LSD where it's a purely a mechanical device. The mk7 GTI is a clutch pack based system that is controlled electronically, hence eLSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think we're cutting hairs here, but the e in this case is only that the hydraulic fluid pump is electronic. It's still a purely mechanical viscous diff that allows power transfer from one side to the other.

Things get confusing because many brands, VW and BMW also refer to absolute BS open differential setups with braking abilities under slip as eDiff's that have no ability to actually transfer power from one side to the other.

As for clutch vs gear, I'd posit that on a fwd car, this is less important as you're much less likely to be in a large slip angle that needs serious yaw correction. I've had both styles in rwd, and greatly prefer geared setups.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #32
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
As a former MKIV owner. I have to tell you these pocket rockets are fun to drive. Good torque and plenty of potential. However, i consider their transmission very weak (Manual shouldn't be as bad though).
I'm in the exact same situation and got a MINT 2013 128i with 67K miles for $9,000 lol. Great to put miles on while staying in the BMW fam. I do regret not getting a 135i, there's plenty of low mile cars in the classifieds section for $15-17K. Knowing how you mod, i can picture a monster daily, more like a sheep in wolf's clothing. Hell, you can even slap a 128i batch and start messing with people
Soul_Glo13284.00
      07-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #33
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
As a former MKIV owner. I have to tell you these pocket rockets are fun to drive. Good torque and plenty of potential. However, i consider their transmission very weak (Manual shouldn't be as bad though).
I'm in the exact same situation and got a MINT 2013 128i with 67K miles for $9,000 lol. Great to put miles on while staying in the BMW fam. I do regret not getting a 135i, there's plenty of low mile cars in the classifieds section for $15-17K. Knowing how you mod, i can picture a monster daily, more like a sheep in wolf's clothing. Hell, you can even slap a 128i batch and start messing with people
I got a manual passat back in April, its been a lot of fun driving it and modifying yes I know I said I won't be modifying it but I can't help myself!
I already drove it 10k miles since April and I honestly love it!
its a 2.5 litter 5 cyl engine, no turbo, its def lucking in speed but its good enough for what I use it for!

I still like GTIs GLIs and Rs but they would not be as practical for my needs, maybe in the future!

Thanks for u input!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread