XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #45
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I hope they get a replacement m2c rather than prior year n55 m2. Need to experience the s55.

probably not..... why would they allow another person to make the same mistake on this tour? If you just had to make an insurance claim.. (pick the loss... hail... flood.. collision.. or an employer providing insurance for an employee workers comp claim. ) would you immediately create the same exposure for yourself again or would you find some ways to reduce your exposure or mitigate future losses?
Are you an actual M3 adjuster?
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #46
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
I did the Mtown tour yesterday in Pittsburgh..I drove the M5 M2comp and 850i
I was a sunny day in pit so I drove the 850 with the top down..and I must say
It sounded great..if the M8 sounds like this but just up a few notches it will be a win.
But i agree the ride is soft..but really nice it is most definitely a GT car.
As for the M5..while it's the new M5 it rocks..like the OP i also have driven this car on the track..and yes it's fun but u do feel the weight..but the car on the street really does feel
Smaller then it really is..and now the M2COMP..i like the OP also have an M3cs
And i will tell you i love the DCT..you do not get the punch in the seat with the ZF
Like the DCT..but it does shift just as fast.. I did like the M2. But after driving the M3cs
It feels a little soft on the power curve..I wish they had it tuned like the CS..but
I guess that can be fixed with after market tune.
.I had a 2016 M235 I pick up in Germany
In 2015(wanted M2 but at the time of ordering not released) so the interior is set up the same but with Mseats so I get the OP talking about it being a little off..
Over all the M2 is fun..but I like the m3 a bit more..cant wait to see what the G80 will hold

The M2 CS will be tuned more like the M3 CS.... naturally.. why you would expect it to be otherwise i can only call wishful thinking.

I mean holy crap.. it's like picking up an Iphone XR (with the LCD screen ) and saying... I thought they would have put an OLED screen in and the same camera like the XS MAX.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #47
Mrgunfun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 M-DCT

Quote:
The M2 CS will be tuned more like the M3 CS.... naturally.. why you would expect it to be otherwise i can only call wishful thinking.

I mean holy crap.. it's like picking up an Iphone XR (with the LCD screen ) and saying... I thought they would have put an OLED screen in and the same camera like the XS MAX.
M2C is what the original M2 should have been.
I loved the engine, the noise and very well sorted chassis.
I hope I get an opportunity to drive the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgunfun View Post
M2C is what the original M2 should have been.
I loved the engine, the noise and very well sorted chassis.
I hope I get an opportunity to drive the M2 CS

The M2 is what it was.... and all that BMW cared to make it in 2016.
The M2C is what it is. and all that BMW cared to make it in 2018.

The M2 CS will be what it will be.. and all that BMW cares to make it... in 2020.
The M2 CS will not be " what the M2 Competition should have been " because it is a more developed product with a different mission.

Your desire for one to have been the other has nothing to do with anything; other than demonstrating that as products are developed people commonly prefer the more developed iteration.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-26-2019 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      06-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #49
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Was it this guy driving?
"It would be better on the highway..."

Oh okay this guy has some common sense...

"...there's too many places for police to hide."

...oh nevermind. I guess avoiding a ticket takes priority over not accidentally killing someone.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #50
JL95
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP

First of all thank you for the insight. Great review!

I dd a m4 zcp convertible and have a gts for the track and imo, no matter what badge the car has it's never fair to asses performance based on the convertible version.

I mean even in the m4 zcp vert you feel the body roll, lack of rigidity, the extra weight etc... so can't imagine how it'd feel in a bigger, heavier vehicle with no proper performance treatment.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #51
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL95 View Post
First of all thank you for the insight. Great review!

I dd a m4 zcp convertible and have a gts for the track and imo, no matter what badge the car has it's never fair to asses performance based on the convertible version.

I mean even in the m4 zcp vert you feel the body roll, lack of rigidity, the extra weight etc... so can't imagine how it'd feel in a bigger, heavier vehicle with no proper performance treatment.
Good points! I'm looking forward to driving the M8.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
"It would be better on the highway..."

Oh okay this guy has some common sense...

"...there's too many places for police to hide."

...oh nevermind. I guess avoiding a ticket takes priority over not accidentally killing someone.

Sheesh.. pretty easy to see why the local cops start posting up a few blocks away from these events to catch asshats.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #53
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:
X3MC - for an SAV wow! Not much more I can say about this that I haven't already. Again though, I don't need a sporty SUV and of course the M3 CS is going to handle better, but this is a different car for a different purpose. However, if I ever did need a sporty fast SAV, this would be it.
Very good write up, jmg, enjoyed it. Couldn't believe someone wrecked the M2C, glad that I was able to try it out when I went to the South Bay event back on the 14th! I'm signed up for another round of the tour at another dealer in July, guess it'll be the original M2 then

Did you notice any turbo lag on the X3MC? I always drive with paddles and kept the RPM in the meaty range for the entire duration of my drive, forgot to observe how the boost built at the very low end

And I wonder if you and anyone else encountered this: all of the M cars I got into had almost all of the drive settings in Efficiency and Comfort, particularly with the throttle, M2C, X3MC, and the M850, and this was after multiple people have just taken the cars out before me. Makes me wonder how the hell were they thinking about these M cars' responses on their drives.... I brought it up with some of the guys and ladies arranging us drivers, none of them know a thing about this - they are not actual BMW employees but contracted 3rd party marketing firm people... To think this could have made a difference in swaying some people's buying decisions, maybe? Curious if this happened to any of the SoCal event attendees
      06-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #54
jelly6elly
Private
Rep
Drives: Yes

Great review! When I saw the pics, I noticed immediately it’s the Buena Park BMW, which I went also on Monday morning!

I just drove the m2 and m5c. In short, m2 was a blast to drive - fun little car with just enough juice. Deserves all the praise, although interior is too plastic-y. I thought m5c was good but not impressive enough. I had high expectation but didn’t meet it. Yes, it was luxurious and comfy but not that exciting nor feel more special than my f80, dare I say.

Scored a nice s’well bottle though - that was nice touch. And to the douchbag idiot who destroyed a beautiful m2c so NOBODY ELSE can test drive it, eff you. Stick to your moms Prius.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      06-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #55
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamfoo View Post
Quote:
X3MC - for an SAV wow! Not much more I can say about this that I haven't already. Again though, I don't need a sporty SUV and of course the M3 CS is going to handle better, but this is a different car for a different purpose. However, if I ever did need a sporty fast SAV, this would be it.
Very good write up, jmg, enjoyed it. Couldn't believe someone wrecked the M2C, glad that I was able to try it out when I went to the South Bay event back on the 14th! I'm signed up for another round of the tour at another dealer in July, guess it'll be the original M2 then

Did you notice any turbo lag on the X3MC? I always drive with paddles and kept the RPM in the meaty range for the entire duration of my drive, forgot to observe how the boost built at the very low end

And I wonder if you and anyone else encountered this: all of the M cars I got into had almost all of the drive settings in Efficiency and Comfort, particularly with the throttle, M2C, X3MC, and the M850, and this was after multiple people have just taken the cars out before me. Makes me wonder how the hell were they thinking about these M cars' responses on their drives.... I brought it up with some of the guys and ladies arranging us drivers, none of them know a thing about this - they are not actual BMW employees but contracted 3rd party marketing firm people... To think this could have made a difference in swaying some people's buying decisions, maybe? Curious if this happened to any of the SoCal event attendees
All M cars default to efficiency and sport and sport plus. At least both my M3 and M3 CS do. Everytime I got into a car the attendant went over a few technicalities and from what remember they put it in sport for us. I could be wrong however because I immediately started changing to settings to put steering in comfort and turned on MDM in the M cars.

Re: turbo lag I was using the paddles the whole day as well so I had the same experience as you- didn't really get to see if there was turbo lag.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #56
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Was it this guy driving?
I was hoping he gets a ticket and may be few nights locked in
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #57
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
So I got the longer story when I went with my buddy over the weekend to test drive a used F10 535i they had on the lot. Apparently, everyone who attended the event was driving like a jackass, going 100mph plus on side streets, not following the route (one guy was gone with a car for 30 minutes. Said he was lost ) and putting pedestrians in danger.

The guy who wrecked the M2C had DSC turned off and lost control in a right hand corner, then slid it 100 feet into the tree. Walked away with only a scratch but totaled the car. The salesman showed me a pic of the wreck...It was definitely totaled.
BMW is stupid for having these events on the public roads, they just need to keep it to the parking lots with autocross or I guess have a rep in every car, since people don't know how to behave.
"Most People"
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #58
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Was it this guy driving?
You would think he would eventually figure out you don't gun it when you start the turn...

Damn almost 100 on those streets, should be able to use this video to arrest him for reckless driving.

BMW should require security deposits. Maybe that would stop the random idiot from doing this.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #59
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
OP, thanks for the detailed write-up and the pictures! Great stuff.

I think it is pretty cool that BMW is doing these M Town Tours, although in the end I know it is marketing.

I went to our local tour with one goal only: to drive the F90 M5C. I've been a die-hard M5 fan since the E39 M5 came out. I bought one in 2004 and still have it. I think that overall it is the best car I've owned. For various reasons none of the subsequent M5s gelled enough with me to purchase one. However, many of the reviews of the F90 have the "return to M39 M5 form" somewhere in the article, so I was keen to find out.

Well, did I, after a 3 mile loop? Of course not. The main impression that sears into your brain is how impossibly fast the car is. The secondary impressions are that of quality, impressive ride quality for what it is, and yes, heft. I couldn't discern most of the qualities I love about my E39 M5 during the drive, but I understand I would need more time to do so. However, the size and unavailability of a MT (luddite alert!) mean that the only M5 I will own for the foreseeable future is the one I already have.

However, I am picking up my M2C MT this week.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 3
jmg18493.00
gnx751.50
      06-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #60
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

I had the chance of driving M2C, M5C and the X3M. I think M5 drive was supposed to be with an instructor but she didn't bother to come so I went solo in all of them.

They couldn't find the preinstalled routes so they told me "just bring back the cars in 15 mins"

The dealership was nearby a highway so I had the chance of opening them up a little bit. I liked the M2C a lot. The firm suspension, steering feel and relatively small size compared to other M cars makes it the best car in the line up for me.

The M5C was brutally fast. I can't imagine it with a tune. The interior was great too. I didn't bother to switch to 2WD. I didn't read about the switches so it would be wasting some test drive time for me. The pops on the exhausts sounded a bit JDM'ish for a 120k car. Other than that I liked it.

The X3M seemed too silent to me inside. I liked the ventilated seats. The orange inserts looked out of place. But I can see that it will steal a lot of X5M buyers. The Client Advisors from the dealership were very interested about the X3M especially. They tried to drive it but the M-Town employees told them they need to sign up first. Their faces were and fun to see.

Also the Swell bottle gift at the end was nice. Not sure if they give them in every area.
      06-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #61
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I hope they get a replacement m2c rather than prior year n55 m2. Need to experience the s55.

probably not..... why would they allow another person to make the same mistake on this tour? If you just had to make an insurance claim.. (pick the loss... hail... flood.. collision.. or an employer providing insurance for an employee workers comp claim. ) would you immediately create the same exposure for yourself again or would you find some ways to reduce your exposure or mitigate future losses?
Every other car there (except for maybe the m850i) is also likely to encourage abuse by jerks too. I'm not sure that replacing the m2 with another m2c exposes them to significantly greater risk.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #62
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Was it this guy driving?
Idiotic
Appreciate 2
khanyam4801.50
sq86363.00
      06-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #63
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
OP, thanks for the detailed write-up and the pictures! Great stuff.

I think it is pretty cool that BMW is doing these M Town Tours, although in the end I know it is marketing.

I went to our local tour with one goal only: to drive the F90 M5C. I've been a die-hard M5 fan since the E39 M5 came out. I bought one in 2004 and still have it. I think that overall it is the best car I've owned. For various reasons none of the subsequent M5s gelled enough with me to purchase one. However, many of the reviews of the F90 have the "return to M39 M5 form" somewhere in the article, so I was keen to find out.

Well, did I, after a 3 mile loop? Of course not. The main impression that sears into your brain is how impossibly fast the car is. The secondary impressions are that of quality, impressive ride quality for what it is, and yes, heft. I couldn't discern most of the qualities I love about my E39 M5 during the drive, but I understand I would need more time to do so. However, the size and unavailability of a MT (luddite alert!) mean that the only M5 I will own for the foreseeable future is the one I already have.

However, I am picking up my M2C MT this week.
Congrats on the M2C!! 3 miles in the city is not a good way to get a full impression of the M5C. Even drag racing at the Performance Center wasn't enough. It really should be taken on a proper autocross or better yet road coarse or backroad. M Town is a nice little teaser that is very attractive because it's free!

Appreciate 1
KevinM2931.00
      06-27-2019, 12:06 AM   #64
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan View Post
I had the chance of driving M2C, M5C and the X3M. I think M5 drive was supposed to be with an instructor but she didn't bother to come so I went solo in all of them.

They couldn't find the preinstalled routes so they told me "just bring back the cars in 15 mins"

The dealership was nearby a highway so I had the chance of opening them up a little bit. I liked the M2C a lot. The firm suspension, steering feel and relatively small size compared to other M cars makes it the best car in the line up for me.

The M5C was brutally fast. I can't imagine it with a tune. The interior was great too. I didn't bother to switch to 2WD. I didn't read about the switches so it would be wasting some test drive time for me. The pops on the exhausts sounded a bit JDM'ish for a 120k car. Other than that I liked it.

The X3M seemed too silent to me inside. I liked the ventilated seats. The orange inserts looked out of place. But I can see that it will steal a lot of X5M buyers. The Client Advisors from the dealership were very interested about the X3M especially. They tried to drive it but the M-Town employees told them they need to sign up first. Their faces were and fun to see.

Also the Swell bottle gift at the end was nice. Not sure if they give them in every area.
I got the swell bottle too. I just tossed it into my pile! I have about 6 other from other events and M Schools. I give them away to friends and family.

I loved the X3M tan inserts. I think just plain black is just too boring. It's all subjective of course.

2WD is fun in the M5. I knew how to activate it from the M Track Day and various videos I've watched. Turn off DSC and activate in the iDrive. It's too bad it's hidden in iDrive though, a simple button that requires a double press to confirm turning DSC off would suffice.

Appreciate 2
Tuscan221.50
      06-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #65
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Was it this guy driving?
This moron doesn't deserve to have a license.
Appreciate 1
sq86363.00
      06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #66
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Idiotic
I agree F N imbecile

Last edited by khanyam4; 06-27-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00