XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Beechbum
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

US to EU lighting conversion

I recently picked up a 2014 xDrive 35i, love it!
However, I’m going to be shipping it to Austria very soon and I’ve heard there are a few things that may need to be changed to be compliant.

The turn signals are red, and need to be amber. I’ve found a few on eBay, mostly the black line? I can’t seem to find any other sources for tail lights. I do have Xeon headlights, I see many listings where the tail lights are specified to use only with Xeon, not sure how that makes any difference. I’m also told the marker lights must be clear, which I do not believe it has any?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

You can do some coding to change the hazard lights. Probably a few other code changes as well to make it compliant.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
kcannon28
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 28i Sdrive

US to EU lighting

Hey Beachbum

I've just this week done exactly what you're trying to do. I bought a 2014 E84 from the US and made it UK (Europe for the moment) compliant.
Got some amber rear lamps on ebay UK, plenty of them about. Check to make sure you get the correct lamps, US use LED for rear sidelights which are an extra in Europe
Did the Fog lamp mod which is a brilliant thread on this forum, and yesterday got the Front amber "Sidelights" coded out so they are now just Turn signals as they call them in the US, indicators on this side of the pond.
The coding I believe changed the car to a full EU spec vehicle in order to remove the amber lights? Not a techie myself so not exactly sure, just know that when I turn the sidelights on only the DRL come on which are fine for Europe as they are less (Much Less) than 450mm from the edge of the vehicle.
The fella that did the coding did it remotely from his desk, I took my car to a local place, he plugged his laptop in and the remote fella jumped on, 20 minutes later a EU spec E84.
Appreciate 0