XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Another career advice thread...

So I just got out of the Marine Corps Infantry in January, and since then I am a full, full time student (max load, giggle). I went Auburn University before I joined the military, but I have started over since I was 18 and had no focus at the time. Anyways I already have been named a Presidential Scholar in History and Philosophy at my school and have a 4.0, sure I've only done 26 hours so far, but whatever I'm very smart and determined.

I am a history buff. I absolutely love history and have always been successful in History classes. I was a History major at Auburn, and I am again. Anyways I do not want to be a History teacher, instead I want a government job, hopefully in the intelligence field. I am a combat vet, which I know goes a long way towards that sector. I am currently taking a high level global issues class, which has just blown my mind at how complex and interesting our world is. It combines history and politics, my two favorite subjects.

My question is does anyone here have experience in working for the government in security, intelligence, or policy making? Would changing my major to International Relations be a smart move, or should I go Political Science/ Pre-Law? I am just looking for some grown up advice, which could shape the rest of my life, so to all the haters who say oh great another one of these threads go fuck yourself, I didn't make you read it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I don't personally work for the government (although I'm trying) but most of the people I've met have masters/phd in crimonology, language, or have 10+ years military experience.

Pre law/Political science is still a great major to pursue.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

all i can tell you is pursue what you love, and find someone to pay you for it...I want to get my M.B.A but im torn in what i want to major in...ill figure it out as i progress in school
      05-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

im considering the same thing. i might go in to enginering then law school or do political science then law.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
all i can tell you is pursue what you love, and find someone to pay you for it...
thats back in american-dream days.

forget what you love. study in a field with lots of career opportunities.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post

yea, but its important to pursue something you enjoy...you might not want to pursue your one true love, but atleast something you enjoy
      05-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post

you can do both, I did
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
you can do both, I did
share?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Real estate. I would always fuck around on the internet "What if I had x dollars and wanted to live in this area" And one day, when I didn't know what to do with my life it clicked. Been in it a few years, and am doing well enough to own my car, buy a nice townhouse and just got recruited by another company and am meeting with them tomorrow to discuss/negotiate what it will take me to come to them. I LOVE my job. Seeing a woman come to tears when I find the family the home of their dreams and it is fun and equal amounts office/negotiation/agency and field work/looking at properties and appraising/CMA's. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Alexander
United_States
Rep

Like all 20 somethings I'm lost. This recession sucks balls, but I've read stats that predict it to be over in late 2011. My brother graduated from Indiana Univ. last year with a degree in Marketing, but is working in restaurant management, because journalism is dying and he working in restaurant while in school. We were talking about this in an Econ class today how this has been a trend throughout the years with college graduates and how hopefully when I graduate the job market will be somewhat healed, so I won't be forced into positions like my brother, who waited 6 months for a marketing job and just couldn't get anything that paid.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Like all 20 somethings I'm lost. This recession sucks balls

I'm just going back to school. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to have a stable job with decent pay, however it's all but completely unrelated to the field I'm looking to get into
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Alexander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post

I'm just going back to school. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to have a stable job with decent pay, however it's all but completely unrelated to the field I'm looking to get into
That seems to be the general trend. I want to go into the Intelligence field, but I have a guarantee in the Insurance business thanks to daddy, lol. The school that I'm transferring to has one of the top Risk Management programs in the US and that's what my Dad does and can get me a job in easy, so I might just have to suck it up like he did and follow that career. He enjoys it, and I probably could enjoy it too. I take pride in my work regardless of what I'm doing, whether it's filling sandbags in the desert or doing paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

I work for the Federal government. One great way to begin your career in Federal government is through the Presidential Fellows Program (https://www.pmf.opm.gov/). That's how I started working for NASA after serving in the military. At that time the program was called the Presidential Management Intern program. Only people who recently got their graduate degree can apply. You generally have the opportunity to work at multiple agencies/jobs during the two year training program. My most enjoyable training assignment included the six months I worked in the Office of the Vice President. There are many positions that are policy related at several agencies; mostly in the Washington DC area.