BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2024, 08:31 AM   #1
Mr. Wolfe
Rep
Drives: M3, 911, Macan GTS

22 Macan GTS to X5MC?

Not a typical cross-shop, but has anyone made this move? I love everything about my Macan, but the curious bug has bit... Porsche Turbo GT is not in my future. Looking to spend $80-$100k on a 1-2 year old X5MC if I do make the move. Thanks for any insight.

Mr. Wolfe
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:16 AM   #2
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Way faster, way bigger, less of a big hot hatchback feel. They're a lot less similar than you'd think.

What has your curious? Need more space? If not the X3MC might be more in line size wise. Alfa Stelvio QF is the fun choice
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #3
Mr. Wolfe
Rep

Sorry, I've been away. Thanks for the response. I have thought about the BMW X3MC as well, but thought it might be a bit of a downgrade in terms of feel - plus I prefer the looks of the X5. I know it's faster in a straight line. The Alfa does little for me, however as I have to like how it looks.

Mr. Wolfe
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:40 PM   #4
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
Not a typical cross-shop, but has anyone made this move? I love everything about my Macan, but the curious bug has bit... Porsche Turbo GT is not in my future. Looking to spend $80-$100k on a 1-2 year old X5MC if I do make the move. Thanks for any insight.

Mr. Wolfe
Wife has a 2023 Macan S. I'll sell you my '21 X5MC that's got about 38K miles. Very well taken care of and no accidents if you're seriously interested. Would literally have to get it next week because my lease is up.

Anywho, by way of comparison, you're going to be getting up into the X5MC vs probably sliding into the Macan. You'll have a HUD which is nice and the interior is miles and way better IMHO (although maybe if you did that green color on the GTS it may be close -- but I think that package has alcantara vs. merino).

Acceleration is probably close to the same. The Macan S stands up from the dig with the torque. You'll see less of that in the X5MC. I was surprised by how spacious the Macan is compared to the X5MC. But forget about anyone in the backseat if you are tall. When my kid was rear facing, even my 5'2'' spouse had the seat touching the carseat.

You'll definitely get more looks, oohs and aahs from the X5MC vs. the Macan. Not sure but remote start, soft close doors, heated/ventilated/massage seats are standard on the BMW for significantly less.

I'll also add that the X5MC has more cargo space and less of a mommy mobile/grocery getter (apologies in advance for the sexism). You'll also be able to take corners more comfortably in the Macan. The X5MC will do it, but you definitely will need to get accustomed to that extra 1000 lbs of curb weight. When racing, she was always able to take corners easier. Again, I CAN do it, but that doesn't mean I WANT to do it. It just doesn't feel natural coming out of corner like she did.

PM me if you're seriously interested in buying.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:05 PM   #5
X5MC4ME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp

Never owned a Macan but have driven a friends GTS and test drove a turbo. I think they are definitely fun to drive and more nimble and tossable than the X5M. I think the Macan is a little too small to be an actual family car. And at that point why get an SUV at all? I’d much rather have a Taycan or Panamera. They handle MUCH better and are FAR more luxurious. I’d personally rather have a Taycan Sport tourismo than my X5M but it didn’t have enough cargo space for me.

That said the X5 is worlds more luxurious than the Macan. The powertrain is more refined and enjoyable too. It’s more of a muscle car than the Macan IMO.

X
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 09:43 PM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Please don't take this as an affront to your Macan. It's just my honest opinion after driving both for some time.
My wife has a loaded '21 Macan GTS. It just doesn't feel like a hotrod unless you're in sport mode and at least half throttle. Then it's fairly quick. The brakes are awesome though. Gas mileage is better. Ride is smoother, although the X5M is fine for me. My wife has never commented on it as being rough either. To me, the base of the seat is more comfortable in the Macan but the back is better in the BMW.
Even stock, the F95 is pretty awesome. With a few mods, they're REALLY awesome. 1/8 throttle equals at least half throttle in the Macan until the Macan gets some RPM up. Handling is crisper, even though it's heavier. The interior is just more luxurious in the BMW.
No head up display in the Macan. No autopilot, no dynamic cruise control (or whatever the technical name is). The backup camera in the Macan is just horrible. The B&W stereo is much better. You have to fold the rear seats down to fit 2 large suitcases in the Macan.
As much as my wife loves her Macan, she'd much rather take a road trip in the BMW.
I need an SUV for my business, otherwise I'd have an M8-C.
I'm very interested in the upcoming M5 station wagon though. I think I could get by with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:47 AM   #7
Mr. Wolfe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
Please don't take this as an affront to your Macan. It's just my honest opinion after driving both for some time.
My wife has a loaded '21 Macan GTS. It just doesn't feel like a hotrod unless you're in sport mode and at least half throttle. Then it's fairly quick. The brakes are awesome though. Gas mileage is better. Ride is smoother, although the X5M is fine for me. My wife has never commented on it as being rough either. To me, the base of the seat is more comfortable in the Macan but the back is better in the BMW.
Even stock, the F95 is pretty awesome. With a few mods, they're REALLY awesome. 1/8 throttle equals at least half throttle in the Macan until the Macan gets some RPM up. Handling is crisper, even though it's heavier. The interior is just more luxurious in the BMW.
No head up display in the Macan. No autopilot, no dynamic cruise control (or whatever the technical name is). The backup camera in the Macan is just horrible. The B&W stereo is much better. You have to fold the rear seats down to fit 2 large suitcases in the Macan.
As much as my wife loves her Macan, she'd much rather take a road trip in the BMW.
I need an SUV for my business, otherwise I'd have an M8-C.
I'm very interested in the upcoming M5 station wagon though. I think I could get by with that.
Thanks for your perspective. Here are my thoughts:

The 21' GTS had 375hp compared to the 22' GTS with 434hp. A small tune gets you to 500hp, so really, it's no slouch with the lower weight. As fast as an X5MC? No way. The throttle mapping is terrible in the Macan, that's why a Pedal Commander is a must. Then you can tune the gas pedal to how you like it. As far as Adaptive Cruise, I loathe cars with it. This was the main reason I bought the 22' GTS because I knew the 23's came standard with it and you could no longer remove it from the option list. I could write a book on why adaptive cruise contributes to almost all congested highway issues now-a-days.

Anyways, back to the Macan. I totally agree that the back-up camera is one of the WORST I have ever seen. Like, terrible.

I need to drive the X5 to see if it's too big for me. That needs to be my next step. Anyways, thank you all for the help and here are a couple of pics of the Macan.

Here was my winter setup:

Mr. Wolfe
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:51 AM   #8
Mr. Wolfe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Wife has a 2023 Macan S. I'll sell you my '21 X5MC that's got about 38K miles. Very well taken care of and no accidents if you're seriously interested. Would literally have to get it next week because my lease is up.

Anywho, by way of comparison, you're going to be getting up into the X5MC vs probably sliding into the Macan. You'll have a HUD which is nice and the interior is miles and way better IMHO (although maybe if you did that green color on the GTS it may be close -- but I think that package has alcantara vs. merino).

Acceleration is probably close to the same. The Macan S stands up from the dig with the torque. You'll see less of that in the X5MC. I was surprised by how spacious the Macan is compared to the X5MC. But forget about anyone in the backseat if you are tall. When my kid was rear facing, even my 5'2'' spouse had the seat touching the carseat.

You'll definitely get more looks, oohs and aahs from the X5MC vs. the Macan. Not sure but remote start, soft close doors, heated/ventilated/massage seats are standard on the BMW for significantly less.

I'll also add that the X5MC has more cargo space and less of a mommy mobile/grocery getter (apologies in advance for the sexism). You'll also be able to take corners more comfortably in the Macan. The X5MC will do it, but you definitely will need to get accustomed to that extra 1000 lbs of curb weight. When racing, she was always able to take corners easier. Again, I CAN do it, but that doesn't mean I WANT to do it. It just doesn't feel natural coming out of corner like she did.

PM me if you're seriously interested in buying.
This would probably be too soon for me as I am just pondering the idea of trying something new. Appreciate your insight and the offer though.

Mr. Wolfe
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 01:29 PM   #9
X5MC4ME
Private First Class
Rep

Porsche must save a fortune not painting the front of their new cars and leaving that cheap black plastic. Didn’t like the little bit on my 911 but with their new cars it’s shockingly bad. Would probably cost them $100 per car to do it right but they are that greedy. Looks worse than the black rubber bumpers ok the older 944s IMO. Otherwise that is a beautiful car.

X
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry404.50
      05-12-2024, 07:19 PM   #10
Mr. Wolfe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC4ME View Post
Porsche must save a fortune not painting the front of their new cars and leaving that cheap black plastic. Didn’t like the little bit on my 911 but with their new cars it’s shockingly bad. Would probably cost them $100 per car to do it right but they are that greedy. Looks worse than the black rubber bumpers ok the older 944s IMO. Otherwise that is a beautiful car.

X
Yeah, I am not especially fond of the front of the Macan.

Mr. Wolfe
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:55 PM   #11
X5MC4ME
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
Yeah, I am not especially fond of the front of the Macan.

Mr. Wolfe
Bloody shame because the rest of it is really fantastic. Especially yours with a great color, wheels, and interior combo.

X
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 08:57 PM   #12
ipayincash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 comp

Pookiemalibu - So its safe to say you aren't buying your lease out what did you end up deciding to do ? I know you were between a few different options, also what are you asking on your 21 x5m ?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:36 PM   #13
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayincash View Post
Pookiemalibu - So its safe to say you aren't buying your lease out what did you end up deciding to do ? I know you were between a few different options, also what are you asking on your 21 x5m ?
Yeah. Lol. I punked out and went w/ an LCI lol.
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1997.00
      05-20-2024, 04:41 PM   #14
ipayincash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 comp

lol that awesome congrats ! I love the new taillights and the isle man green ones I've seen online. Yet to see one in person in the sunlight and I know its really flashy but man does it look good in the night time pics Ive seen almost like a midnight emerald metallic. What color did you get ?
      05-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #15
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
My X5M is also available if anyone is interested.
It is not a comp package, but it is just as formidable and has everything a comp has except for the black M-stripe seat belts and badging. The 17hp difference between a comp and non-comp is negligible and the torque numbers are the same; tune both of them and they arrive at the same hp/tq numbers. Also, my production date was prior to BMW locking the ECU, so there are better tuning options without spending $2500 upfront before any tuning to send your ECU to Russia to have it cracked (and once it is, BMW will know and your warranty will be voided).

Mine has 19k miles and has over a year left on CPO warranty (unlimited mileage). There is more information and photos in my for sale ad in the classifieds here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2098603

If you or anyone is interested, PM me.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0