View Single Post
      03-25-2019, 02:16 AM   #117
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But most products are marketed for the lowest common denominator (read as "dumbass") so a broader market share may bring the EPA to make changes to the EV Maroney information window label.
I agree. It shouldn't take a graduate degree to explain and understand a basic product metric like range. Especially if you want to sell this product in millions.
Quote:
I will be interested to see how Audi handles its HMI for EVs. Audi has some great features in its current interior formats, the newest one being able to tell the driver the best speed to make the next traffic light under green, or the time remaining red. I remain convinced that the Tesla Tablet is as much production cost issue and commensurate marketing hype as it is conceived to be the ultimate automotive HMI.
The "tablet" itself is just a Linux box running on an Atom CPU. It's some real basic stuff, probably a couple hundred bucks worth of hardware if it was just off the shelf stuff, double it for the custom design. What we don't know about is the exact specs of their HW2.5 board that sits separate under the rear seats (and we know even less about the brand new HW3 version). But then I've pulled the pricing for G05 with option 6U3: the instrument cluster is listed at $1500, the head unit is $2260, and the display is $4060. Let's say the cost is 1/4 of the part's list price (a generous assumption, right?), and Tesla still has $1500 left over for their autopilot computer hardware before it would hit parity.
Appreciate 0