View Single Post
      08-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Johntechwriter
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

Tire Pressure Monitor false alarms

I could find no threads or posts that included the words "Tire Pressure Monitor" so I am creating this thread.

Our 2013 sDrive28i is constantly giving us alerts via its Tire Pressure Monitor, and when we check the alerted tire's pressure, it is always what it should be. Because by law the alert system cannot be turned off, these false alarms have become a major nuisance.

The alerts randomly (it seems) show any one of the four tires in yellow, indicating underinflation of that tire. Because not just one tire gets the alerts, I must rule out a faulty sensor on a specific wheel as the source of the problem.

Usually an alert can be eliminated with a reset of the TPM. But not always. Sometimes we need to add a token amount of air to the alerted tire to get the system to reset.

I suspect the TPM is overly sensitive. Despite our factory Goodyear run-flats being nearly new, with minimal tread wear, and filled with nitrogen to reduce seepage, minor pressure variances are inevitable due to outside temperature fluctuations and the tires getting warmer as the car is driven. These minor variations are supposedly accounted for by the TPM's computer but maybe it is nevertheless oversensitive.

Or, maybe we have a faulty TPM. I'd like to know if other owners have experienced TPM false alerts and if so, how they solved the problem.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0