View Single Post
      05-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Yup, filled with fluid. Very common failure if that's what it is.

Damn! First I've seen those. It says for the curved control arm (which is what you want). For like 10+ years, NO ONE offered a poly for the xdrive tension/traction strut hydrobearing replacement besides Strongflex out of Poland. Those are one piece and must be pressed in.

If you can rig up a threaded rod, a press, or a hammer and some creative use of nails to get the OE bushing/race out, that would be an EASY replacement to pop right in. That would have saved me, and many, many others a lot of headache.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E84-X1...n/Control_Arm/

Besides a Strongflex poly (or apparently the new alternative you posted), people just replace the hydro with a modified M3 bushing, stock for stock, or just do the whole arm.

The hydro part number is:

About $20-60 (generic vs. oem), but you have to press it in (involves getting creative).

But again, many people just replace the whole arm for a QUICK bolt-on solution with no pressing. $60-130.
Awesome. Thank you so much for your input. Going to see if I can limp through to Memorial Day weekend, as I've got no time before then to dedicate to the project. I will perform the swap with the new split type bushing from ECS and follow up with the results. The asymmetrical metal insert has me a little nervous. I'm not quite sure what orientation I should be shooting for when I install it. I'd imagine the positioning will affect tire angle to some +/- degree.

If I'm looking at your other post correctly, you drop and swing the control arm out without removing any other components? You don't have to remove the strut assembly or anything? Did you have to loosen the nut on the ball joint or is there enough rotation with it tight to allow you to swing the arm to the rear side of the wheel by simply removing the 18mm bolt/nut by itself?

Last edited by spoolinX1; 05-04-2018 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0