View Single Post
      11-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

In your situations, I'd personally use your current wheels until they're worn out and then get new winter tires on them and then get a lighter weight wheels and summer performance tires for summer. What wheel and tire really depends on your driving style. The staggered setup has a LOT of understeer, especially on my 35. I liked the wheels because they were different and I might pick up a little more traction on hard accelerations but I also like to corner fast and the understeer is pretty strong. If I didn't care about wasting money I'd get wider tires on both front and rear, but stay square.

For tire type, I'm in your neck of the woods and I have the summer performance staggered option (horrible Goodyear Efficigrip tires) but just bought a winter wheel set from tirerack. TR didn't have a 215/50 option for the X1 that worked so I ended up with 7.5" wheels, square setup, and 225/50/R17 Dunlop 4D Winter Sport tires, go-flats. The Dunlop M3 winter RFT (They discontinued the M3 go-flats as the 4D replaced it) are really good tires but since my winter set will last many years, I don't trust the M3 RFT to be around then so it was 4D for me. Dunlop also makes 4D RFT but TR doesn't carry them (Walmart and others do) but as nice as RFT could be for winter issues, I decided that not having a flat in countless years, I'd do go-flat for the better performance, comfort, and save the cost difference for go-flats vs RFT for a new tire if it happens. And keep my phone charged if there is a problem.

Some other local BMW owners really like the Blizzak lm-32's. In my research (including many European sites that seemed to have more and better reviews of Blizzak, Dunlop, Conti and other winter tires) the 4D's outperformed in ice, wet and dry and were just a fraction worse than Blizzak in deep snow. And if I were doing all-season it would be Conti DWS.

Just my $.02

Last edited by edx1; 11-17-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0