View Single Post
      10-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

A 2015 Canadian X1 should have TPMS. I'm not sure when they added the feature, but it was at least 2015 if not a year or two further back. It's simple to confirm: just look at the valve stems. Metal = TPMS, rubber = FTM.

As for effectiveness, I've been quite satisfied with the results. It picks up quickly depending on how low the tire is. The key is understanding how the system works, which is by comparing the rotation of the two tires on the same axle. If both tires are low, it will be difficult for the system to detect a problem. So yes, you do need to make sure your tires are properly inflated for it to be effective. It's an emergency alert system, but it''s not meant to be a substitute for regularly checking the tire pressures manually.

I've had it go off a few times when I had a puncture and very slow leak. Each time it went off while the car was still driveable, at around 7-9 psi loss. So each time I was able to pull over and temporarily re-inflate the damaged tire until I could finally get it repaired.
Appreciate 0