Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Look around, and see how many monthly subscriptions you and your family have. Music (spotify etc), video (Netflix), satellite radio, shipping/shopping (Amazon Prime), etc, and happily paying for it. So the Auto guys are like "me too, me too" and want $500 a year for heated seats, concierge service, google maps, etc. They have to try it too.

Anyway, I'm glad my car needs are basic and I dont need nannies and concierges.
I had some time to read over the brochure, in detail and what they're offering is not subscription based products, per se but a one time activation license, of features that wasn't on the original factory order.

So if heated seats wasn't originally optioned on the vehicle, in a future, a 'license' it can be purchased, as an option, after the sale. The hardware will have the feature, all built in but essentially locked out, via software.

Unlike Nexflix or Hulu monthly based subscription, BMW is offering a one time purchase, sort of like when you buy a digital copy of a movie, for permanent licensed viewing.
That's not what this articles says:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bmw-wants...200315059.html

In short, heated seats will be a 3 year subscription.
Everyone is fixated on this three year, heated seats headline, however, there is no direct quote from BMW and they're still being vague on all on their prices or model structure. Yet, the media just ran with this incendiary subscription theory because it raises eyebrows and induces click-baiting. Gotta love the internet..

From what a gather, some options that can be offered in a subscription base model, will be available but a lion share of the available aftersale options will only incur a one-time charge, instead of a regular monthly subscription.

BMW is already currently offering this, the press release was merely just to announce that they're expanding these aftersale options.

So I'm not sure why it's such a surprise to some, since they're acting like the sky is falling..

All offerings in the ConnectDrive menu gives you the options for a permanent, "one-time purchase" for any of the features or services offered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1