View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Arrow Report: BMW X1 M35i xDrive (w/ LCI Facelift) to be First M Performance Vehicle for US

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The Entry Performer

BMW X1 M 35i xDrive : M Performance.

In preparing the Life Cycle Impulse for the BMW X1 a car that is still Europe's best selling All wheel drive vehicle as well as a huge seller for BMW, so much so that the North American market has been denied the opportunity twice due to strong demand across europe.

Sensing the opportunity to not only bring the X1 with the latest improvements, it will also be the opportunity to launch the BMW M Performance brand in the US. As the M Performance X5 and X6M50d will not come to the US market as well as the M550dxDrive and M550dxDrive Touring.

Another vehicle the US will miss out on will be the imminent BMW M135i which arrives first as a 3dr and 5dr Sporthatch and then with additional xDrive. Since the more US friendly Coupe and Cabrio models of the next generation are still someway off.

Which means that at the current time BMW do not have an official "M Performance" product for the US Market.

With the US finally to receive the Life Cycle Impulse (LCI) of the BMW X1 when it appears in the 4th quarter of this year. It will not only introduce the compact big selling SAV to the North American market with award winning, outstanding and efficient four cylinder twin-turbo power, but will also introduce the BMW M Performance brand to the US with a Six Cylinder turbo BMW X1 M35i xDrive (or X1 xDriveM35i as it may be called).

Conceived like the BMW M135i Sporthatch. The X1 M35i xDrive will feature the same engine displacement of 320 bhp as well as an M tuned chassis and reworked suspension promising excellent sport-orientated dynamics. A refreshed aerodynamic package will bring the M Performance style of the Sporthatch to the X1. As do specific alloys and M Performance features such as specific seats and trim.

And like the M135i Sporthatch, the X1 M35i xDrive will be the flagship model for the X1. A full blown M model could not find a proper business case.

This puts the X1 M35i to compete against the forthcoming Audi q3 S-Performance model.

Although the M Performance model is one highlight of the refreshed LCI X1, subtle changes bring the car up-to-date. Such as the typical update to the car's lighting involving LEDs and daytime running lights.

With the X1 being the most sporting looking SAV even amongst the bland anoymous Audi q3. The X1 will receive some restyled aerodynamics at the front and rear incorporating reprofiled intakes , new wheel options and new color choices. And Bringing the X1 into line with the 1er the X1 will also feature specifc model lines.

In the interior - the first term mistakes are corrected with visible higher quality materials and latest technology options.

For Europe BMW will add two new diesel models at the entry and higher end of the X1 - An updated X1 "EfficientDynamics"edition promising under 120g/km of CO 2. and a new X1 xDrive25d.

Given BMW's success with the first diesel X5 in the North American market and BMW's insistence to further diesel progress in the US. It is likely that the first four cylinder diesel in the US will be the X1 xDrive25d.