View Single Post
      04-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #42
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
It is by far the worse part of owning a pet. I bought a JRT for my GF when I was younger and he absolutely hated her. I trained him and he bonded with me so much that he would growl at her if she touched me. I should have listened to him. We broke up and he stayed with me and I had him for 13 years. My current GF was the first girl I dated that I felt he loved and would even occasionally leave my lap for hers.

He was diagnosed with renal failure when he was 10.5 and told usually 4-6 months is about all you get. My GF loved him with all her heart and since she was a PA she could not accept that. She would put an IV of fluid in him a few times a month and researched and changed his diet and got me almost another 2 years with my buddy. 95% of that time he was still acting normally even though he looked a little older and had lost some weight.

I had those same arguments with myself - when is he done? I would get it in my head he was then 5 minutes later he would grab his toy and play like a puppy. It is very hard to know and you will beat yourself up about it. I woke up one morning and he was acting funny and I realized he could not see. The vet said he must have had a seizure over night which caused his blindness - I put him down that day. I often wonder if I waited too long.

I think you went above and beyond what 99% of pet owners would have done. You know he was in pain and you reacted accordingly. I think you made the right call. It does take a while to get past them amazingly (especially if you don't have children) but it does get easier - which of course is no help to you now.

I am sorry for your loss.
Peasley247.00