View Single Post
      04-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #41
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

So I've been keeping tabs on your post, and I am truly sorry to hear about Dave. I love dachshunds, and currently have 2 dapples one of which is 8, and has had 3 back surgeries. They are full members of our family, and I will be crushed when we find ourselves in the same posotion.

I wasn't sure I was going to respond, but since I believe I will always have Weiner dogs due to how much they are real dogs, just in miniature, I suspect you will be the same way soon enough. So, idecided to relay a little of how we "manage" her...

In reality, it's not about managing how she behaves, rather managing how she recovers. And I agree that I want her to be as much of a dog as she can be but I always worry about her hurting herself again. I've found that water therapy halos a ton in getting mobility back, and I'd expect that you already know this. But another thing we've done is to take her to an accupuncturist and chiropractor, and it's made a big difference. Her back end is a little out of alignment, so regular visits to the chiropractor helps keep her in line, so she can be happy and comfortable. The accupuncturist I suspect is more for pain, and she hasn't needed that for a while now.

Like I said, I only share for future reference. But it's worked well for us. Good luck getting through this, I know it's tough.
Appreciate 2
MojoRider103.50
Peasley247.00