View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #35
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
mkoesel vreihen16 fair comments. I have seen and interacted with so many EV drivers (most notably Tesla acolytes) who actually proselytize their EV choice as "saving the planet". The environmental argument in favour of mass adoption of EVs is specious, at best, so I feel periodically compelled to argue the point.

I can accept other arguments at face value, which is why I raised the question in the way I did. Personally, I think the answer lies elsewhere (fuel cell technology because we're on the verge a breakthrough in hydrogen production that will not rely on vast amounts of GHG producing electricity because it resolves many of the barriers to EV adoption without the same degree of reliance on coal or natural gas). I also measure the environmental question in more than GHGs (habitat destruction, impacts of lithium mining/production, etc), but climate is a critical issue that should be at the forefront of the discussion.

Long way of saying that I promote a consideration of EVs based on rational criteria, not Elon Musk's kool-aid which is what I mostly run into.
Hydrogen fuel cells for all is ridiculous, the cost of making and transporting hydrogen for use and the infrastructure it requires would make it crazy expensive and increase the impact on the environment. It might make some sense in small niches, but it’s a ridiculous idea overall. To have to produce it, transport it, store it, all with no current infrastructure, will be costly and inefficient. Making electricity at a central station and using and increasing existing infrastructure makes way more sense.
Appreciate 0