View Single Post
      08-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #140
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

(posting copied from "other" BMW forum): I am driving my first BMW, a Midnight Blue X1, and I have been flipped off twice this week. I blame this article. half kidding.

For anyone curious of the details - First flip-off came on a downtown LA street, where I was coming up to a red light with a car ahead in my lane stopped. The light turned green as I approached, and I was kind of hoping that car would accelerate away, because I could see the next traffic signal at a major intersection, and I knew from experience it was about to change in my favor for the left turn, but it wouldn't be green long. The driver dawdled, and I guess I was pretty close on his tail. But I wasn't right up on him. IMO. I managed to swerve around him to get into the left turn lane, but it was too late. The green light I had wanted had turned yellow. Lots of cops down there so I wouldn't risk the turn on red. I had to slam on the brakes. And as that slower car (a Mazda sedan) crossed the street (he still had a green) he flipped me off. Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

Second was yesterday on the way home. Stuck in the #3 lane on four-lane freeway, and my best option around a slow driver was pass on the right. Well there was a freeway on ramp lane near there. I didn't see anyone as I merged right to pass, but as I passed I heard honking and looked in my rear view to see someone in a really old Toyota something or other flipping me off. I guess he had accelerated up the ramp and then merged to the 4 lane very fast because he wasn't in my line of vision when I checked the lane. He came nowhere near to hitting me. Guess he thought he had a right to that lane. My bad! I had to laugh because then he merged behind the slow driver I was getting around, and soon enough I was way down the freeway.

If I am driving badly, it must be because I have a blue BMW! Guess I should have gone for the cashmere silver, which had actually been my first choice. Boring but easier to keep clean, I think.

Anyway. What's this "pedestrians" the article speaks of? ;-)
Appreciate 0