View Single Post
      04-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Yes, the front bumper did have to come off unfortunately for two reasons.

1. There is a bolt on the underside that would be absolutely impossible to reach without a 1/4" ratchet from the front. (The frame rail and radiator shroud are in the way from any other angle.

2. The headlight is too big to fit through the opening in the bumper.

To remove the bumper:
4 qty torx bolts across the top middle of the bumper
7 qty 8mm bolts along the bottom very front of the bumper
1 bolt in each of the top corners of the bumper behind the headlight. Lowermost bolt if you are looking in from inside the fender from the top. (I was able to fit my hand into the fender from the top with a 1/4" ratchet and didn't require an extension. I tried with an extension but found it easier to not even use one.)

13 bolts total.

There is a great video in the DIY section of this forum, but I found that I had 2 less bolts to remove than he did. He had 2 bolts in the upper corners of his bumper, I only had 1 bolt. I removed the covers from my headlight washers (Pry diagonally outward with your finger tips and simply unhook the plastic tabs) then pulled the bumper forward, wrapped it in a sheet (So it wouldn't scratch anything, and stood it on risers so I didn't have to unhook the fogs or PDC sensors.) You only need to pull the bumper forward about 6 inches in order to uninstall the old headlights and reinstall the new ones. The wiring to your fog lights and PDC sensors will reach that far without aggressively tugging on anything.

One very important piece of info is that you have to remove the 2 torx bolts on the little piece of plastic frame that lays horizontally under the headlight. This is the piece that the headlights tuck behind and the bumper clips into. The two bolts that you need to remove are very easy to get to. They are directly in front of the radiator. Once you're behind the bumper, you will see exactly what I'm referring to. If you remove the bumper and unbolt your headlights but realize that they are stuck on something, it's because they're resting behind this plastic mounting bracket. You have to remove the two bolts so you can drop the bracket low enough to lift your headlight out. Very simple.

Last edited by spoolinX1; 04-06-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0