View Single Post
      09-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #314
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I went ahead and did the rears. Regular (non-M-Sport) 35i at 50k miles. The install was incredibly easy, took maybe a few hours and that was with some goofing around. Old dampers looked fine, one of them has a bit of a "burble" at the end of the stroke.

Now, having B6s on the rear and stock on the front, I'll try to make a comparison to stock.

I can definitely feel a difference and can characterize this in two ways. Large undulations like the longer speed bumps and when the road sinks a bit on the highway settle out way faster. Makes the car feel a lot more stable (except that the front keep going a bit!). Small, sharper hits at higher speed are smoother - the dampers seem to "let go" easier and give less of a jolt to the interior.

I'll definitely do the fronts once I have some time - the rears were totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBimmerX1 View Post
I upgraded to bilstein b6s at around 50k miles. My stock right rear was leaking fluid so it was a good time to upgrade all 4 corners. Honestly I didn't feel much improvement until I also switched to H&R springs.
I can imagine that some extra stiffness and a lowering helps a ton. I can't sacrifice the ground clearance here in CO. I'm trying to figure out the spring rates so I can order some springs that are a bit stiffer but maintain the same ride height - no luck yet. Knowing that the B6s are good enough for the H&R spring rate makes comfortable that the B6s have enough rebound damping to handle the increase.
Appreciate 0