View Single Post
      03-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #83
interceptor428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 28i/2015 428 m sport

I used a cheap borescope to inspect the top guide..I looked for cracks or any other signs that it's failing as it seems that this is the part that fails based on the research that I've done. I also tried my best to push the scope down the engine to look at the tensioner guide and the slide rail and both look ok..what I have not been able to look at closely is the connection point between the slide rail and the tip rail..the connection has tabs with two notches...again everything seems ok. Also a side note: I've seen posts of people with timing chain failures on x1s and f30s...the pictures show plastic oil filter housings and the older style chain tensioner...my x1 (as well as my brand new 428) have the same metal oil filter housing and what appears to be the updated tensioner...so perhaps some timing chain failures were due to coolant getting in the oil from the plastic oil filter housing or the "older" tensioner not working properly over time. and another side note: my brand new 428 has the same "shinny marks" on the timing chain as my 95k mile x1. so in my opinion these "shiny" marks on the timing chain are not indicators of impending failure but what I would think is a condition of using light oil which breaks down over time to an even lighter weight because of the turbo heat....all the same, I'm keeping a close eye on the x1 but so far so good.

Last edited by interceptor428; 03-03-2017 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: misspelled borescope
Appreciate 0