Thread: Foodies!
View Single Post
      07-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #102
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I decided to experiment with making 'legit' deep dish pizza.

I have made deep dish before in a conventional household oven, but it required that the crust be par-cooked. The results were good, but it felt like cheating, and I thought that it could be better if I could do it the way a restaurant does it. With the backyard forno, I now have the necessary firepower.

Prior to making the deep dish experiment, I had been making thin crust, so the over was very hot. I intended to let it cool to 500 degress (on the floor) but as usual I became impatient and put it in at 530 degrees (again, on the floor). I cooked it for 15 minutes, then rotated it, and it was done 5 minutes later.

Next time I will do a couple of things differently, cool the oven to 500, if not 480 (on the floor) and rotate after 10 minutes. It cooked well, but it got a little more toasted then I would like on one side of the bottom (not burned, and nobody complained, but just a little more color then I want to see). I will also press the moisture out of the fresh mozzarella (as you can see a bit of 'water' came out during cooking).

Other the that it was a complete success. I made the dough, I rolled out 1lb of spicy sausage into a disc so every bit of pizza has sausage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
P111572.00