05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #47
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
I generally drive the speed limit +7mph on straightaways of populated roads. But, there are lots of places where you can go way over with virtually no chance of getting caught. One maybe extreme example, US-50 in NV ('America's Loneliest Road'). I drove it just a couple of weeks ago, had the M2 at 130 for a bit. I saw one cop car in like 6 hours on that road (coming in the other direction), there's no place for them to hide alongside the road, and usually no other cars in sight at all (with miles of visibility). And I go more than 20-25mph over the limit all the time around rural road curves posted at 45 mph or less, which is not even seriously pushing the M2 (w/ dry pavement and warm tires). Also, passing on two lane roads I kick it down to get around the other vehicle(s) ASAP, often ending at 100-120 depending the length of vehicle or string of vehicles I'm passing. I've only been pulled over once in total in 40+ yrs of driving, last year an Indiana cop said I was still going 60 in a 45 zone going through a town on a rural highway but I think he was wrong (I saw the 45 sign and was on the brakes to get below 50 before passing it) and he just gave me a warning.
Yeah it's totally location-dependent. I was in northern Michigan last week near Traverse City and there were so many twisty roads with ZERO police anywhere. It is off-season for tourists so the roads were mostly free. I had the most fun I've ever had with my car.

Here in the Seattle area speed limits are very low (60 mph on highways, 30-35 on main roads) and there are a ton of drivers who stick to the limit like glue. Add in constant drizzle and a very visible police presence and it's difficult to have any fun!

Last edited by Germanauto; 05-14-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0