CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I think that this is definitely part of the issue.

When I was growing up (60's-70's), all of my friends were in single-income homes. Dad worked, mom was home full-time.

One income was enough to have a good life- 2 cars, vacations every year, decent home.

Now, every family I know is a two-income family. Still at about the same economic level, but only with 2 incomes. If one were to stop working, it would not be possible to exist at the same level that our parents did.

Because of the need for two incomes, todays kids have less supervision/guidance/discipline.

It's a wicked cycle, and somehow I think that eventually we will get it right (Work/life/income balance), but there may be more pain in the short term future.
I also think it plays a part.

I have two neighbors who recently retired and moved to Florida. Both of them worked for the State and retired with full pensions. When I started working for my current company they kept telling me over and over that they couldn't believe I 'chose' a job that didn't have a pension. Even if I got hired for the same job today that they retired from, the retirement is nothing compared to what they received or even what I currently have at my company.

Times are different, employers are different.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00