View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Every time I read one of these threads, I have to ask why are some of you even looking at EVs? At least half of you live in areas where your electrical utility uses fossil fuels (mostly coal) to generate the electricity you'll be using to charge the vehicle so the environmental bona fides are questionable (different argument if you live where electricity is generated by hydro-electric or other non-GHG source). What's so compelling about an EV if you're generating as much atmospheric carbon by charging the vehicle as you are by using a modern ICE?
The short answer is that I don't care. I drove ICE powered vehicles for decades without thinking about the environment and I will continue to not think about the environment when driving an EV.

That's an oversimplification of my actual thoughts, but for practical purposes you can just assume that is true for every EV driver you meet if it helps you be less distracted by bewilderment each time that happens.

So then, what's left as a motivator? For right now, its:
  • Near zero maintenance
  • Recharging at home instead of stopping at a gas station to refuel
Because of the above, and since I got my EV cheap (under $20k) my cost of ownership is very low.

For my next EV, the following will also apply (some already apply for those driving some models of EVs):
  • More interior space per vehicle footprint area (small vehicles are more convenient to maneuver and park)
  • RWD-first vehicle architecture (EVs are usually RWD-first due to lower cost of packaging this layout)
  • Power output not limited by emissions regulations (unlimited power potential)
Appreciate 1
Miko M6650.50