09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
Was wondering about your reply, thanks. My standard setup that has 225/50/17 tyres, when I try to put my hand between the wheel/tyre and shock there is not that much room, maybe 20mm max, I hav'nt measured. That's why I was interested in your 9" on the front c/w 245/40/19's. BMW say to me 8"max. on front. I believe your original setup 18x8 with the offset of 30, I rang BMW in Aust. and after hard time they gave me that 30 offset. Using the above figures your new wheel/tyre setup - front 2.86% and rear 2.33% is just within the recommended 3% diameter of original tyre. I realize you have sports suspension and then changed to KW v1 coilover springs, is that what they are? Am I right. I'm just an old guy not to mechanically minded looking to change my setups and make my X1 look good. Things cost 3 to 4 times more in Aust. and it's hard going to find info. Sorry for annoying you guys.
No annoyance at all GTony

If you were to stay at stock, or near to stock, ride height, then I think 9" would be a fairly simple fit up front. If you do want to go lower then it may be possible without having to shave the plastic trim pieces on the arches/fenders/guards (depending on which regional version of English you happen to speak ), but you would likely need to stick very close to the stock tire diameter and be very picky with offsets on the wheels. As you say, there isn't massive clearance between the tire and shock on the inside, and that plastic trim piece on the outside is wider than you would otherwise appreciate when trying to fit bigger wheels/tires. I can tell you that 8.5" is easily workable. My winter wheels were 18x8.5 with a 34 offset and I had zero issues whatsoever.

Suspension was originally the M-Sport and as you correctly state, it's now KW V1 coilovers.

It depends on exactly what you're looking for. If you want to go a little lower and slightly more aggressive with the wheels, then coilovers likely aren't a necessity, and an 8.5" front, 9.5" rear wheel setup would be a slightly more manageable fit. Not that I'd ever put someone off going the route I did as I absolutely love it, but it does take some work (shaving of plastic trims, rolling fenders) to get it right.
Appreciate 0