View Single Post
      09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi Arti,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Second, I wasn't saying I don't love my country. If I were, please receive my excuses. Please do not mix the things up.
What I was about to say that the quality of service here (I've visited two of the BMWs dealers here) is of no compare to what I expected to get based on my experience in my communications with other representatives worldwide.

Regarding the translation... Ummm. Well, let's provide some examples. Open the first (!) page of the manual and find at least 2 errors. If you can't, that's okay to you and myself but it's not okay for BMW!
Open pages 4 and 5 and find out inconsistencies within the boxes. Open pages 10 and 9 and find yet more inconsistencies (see Рычаг поворотного кулака, for example).

If they were professional translators, didn't they know that the "steering lever stop" is "рычаг рулевого управления"? Why do they mix infinitive form "открыть" with the verbal noun "открывание"? What is "открывание"? Open page 55 (English version) and page 53 (Russian version) and read the Kick-down section. That's what we have in Russian version: "С помощью режима Kick-down достигается максимальная мощность, затрачиваемая на движение". Oh, my! That's what it is: "Maximum performance is achieved by the kick-down. " Isn't it ridiculous, huh? Car performance is how effective it performs, how effective it can start and increase its speed. Where have they seen any bit of "power consumed by motion"??? You'd tell me that's not important? What if I tell you that when I asked the other BMW's representative in one of the dealer's offices about how do I shift the gearbox down using the throttle pedal what have they told me? You know what they've told me? "Nothing how you can do that in BMW"! It's only available in Mercedes where it's implemented using the special key button. How do ya like it? When even in dealership ppl don't know how it works, and if it works at all, how do you think I feel when I read the text like this? Does it explain the Kick-down functionality in a proper way?

I am reading further to the text. I've never driven an automatic gearbox car before. I am interested in using BMW's automatic gearbox which as I'm aware of is the one-of-a-kind automatic transmissions available of the market today. I expect it provide granular information as precisely as you expect it from the maker as BMW. Instead, what I get? In the "Активирование спортивной программы" section available on the page 53 you may see a paragraph which reads: "Нажмите рычаг селектора из положения D влево". If there is somebody out there to show me how to "click left", I would be grateful for them to show me the magic. This is nothing else but a poorly made machine translation of "push".

The most fascinating cite here would be "Это положение рекомендуется для движения с ориентацией на конечный результат". For our non-russian-speaking friends over there I'm translating it: "This state is recommended when moving with orientation for the final result in mind".

If somebody out there was so patient to read to this line, here is my little quiz: what do you think this sentence sounds like in English version of the Manual? Make you guess, gentlemen.

What scares me is translation of the following phrase in the DTC section: "The system ensures maximum drive with lim-ited driving stability in special road conditions e.g. on snow-covered road surfaces". It has been translated to: " "Система обеспечивает при особых состояниях дорожного покрытия, например, занесённые снегом дороги, максимальное поступательное движение при ограниченной устойчивости". This isn't the "поступательное движение", this is "привод!" There is no such a word as "linear motion" in English version of this phrase, isn't it?

If that wasn't BMW, I wouldn't start any ranting here. But since this is BMW… I can't just sit and keep mum.

And, yeah, when you can copy text from English version, you can't do that in Russian version. It's restricted!

If you read to the English manual, it's highly legible and easy to read, you see it's professionally made, it's all quality like within the BMW. If you open the Russian manual… No comments.

Regarding all the other problems. I think that Russia today has much more potential that the country has ever had before in the recent past. If it wasn't so, I wouldn't be able to buy the X1.

BTW, been to Eurosib, but stuck to AVTODOM. Guys in AVTODOM were MUCH more into the know about what they sell and how you should sell when you represent the company such as BMW.
Mrs. Kseniya over there, she called me 5 (!) FIVE month later I visited the delalership to order my beemer in Eurosib only to ask me if I am still interested in it. Of course, I told her to I am happy to have driven the car for yet more than a month. You know WHAT DID SHE ASK ME ABOUT? "Is it the X1 version assembled in Kaliningrad?" Duh, she didn't even know that assembling line hasn't been launched yet! Outstanding professionalism! Oh, for God's sake, Kseniya!

And... last but not least. Open the BMW USA's site and go compare it with BMW Russia's site. Do we have car delivery tracking? Do we have a PDF file with accessories like we have on the German site?

If somebody at BMW is interested it more info, I would be pleased to reply.

Last edited by Exotic Hadron; 09-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Duh, typos. Lotsa...
Appreciate 0