View Single Post
      06-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #86
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

In general, I do like the Harmony remotes. But there are some really annoying things about them. Of all the Harmony remotes I've had, the Harmony One was the best in practical use. I don't know who came up with the layout first...whether it was DirecTV or Logitech or someone else. But the layout of the Harmony One or the old school DirecTV remote was just perfect. It was large enough to have all the main buttons you would want to access without scrolling through soft buttons/menus, but small enough to be practical. What I didn't like about the Harmony One was the lack of being able to set the sleep timeout of the remote. I would be in the middle of fast forwarding through a recorded show and miss where I want to stop because I had to wake the remote back up. Plus there seems to be a sensitivity issue as pressing the button is sometimes not enough. You have to press again to get the remote to recognize you pushed that button.

And the most annoying thing about Harmony remotes...the stupid low battery warning. I seem to recall if the remote takes alkaline batteries then it'll just keep going until the batteries lose power without the stupid annoying warning. With the ones which have rechargeable batteries, it'll throw up the annoying low battery warning. You then have to acknowledge the stupid warning before you can use the remote again. The Harmony One is notorious for this. The dumb thing should just throw up the warning once if Logitech is so insistent on having it. But the dumb thing keeps popping up as if to nag you to throw the remote on the charger. At least the Harmony 1100 allows the physical buttons to still work but the touch screen is locked out. Especially when you get the final warning about low battery....you can't click OK to get past it.

While on the Harmony 1100, I want to know what idiot at Logitech thought it was a good idea to make the pause button the largest button in the playback controls and have it dead center while the play button is a small little button that the pause button normally should be. I called support on this and there's no way to change the buttons nor is there a way to reassign the functions where the big pause button is now the play button even though it shows pause.

I have one of the Elite remotes now but haven't had a chance to run it through its paces.
Appreciate 0