11-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

35i front differential going out

Hey all,

as the title says, my front differential is going out.

For the last few thousand miles, I've had a whining noise that increased with speed and engine load and can be heard with either side window down, which led me to believe it was the front diff or transfer case. The indy shop was hopeful (and said it was more likely) that is was a front wheel bearing, but confirmed that it is indeed the differential.

The car was CPO and now has 76.5k miles. Both differentials and transfer case fluids were done at 60k miles at a well respected indy shop using OEM fluids. I have every service record since purchased at 15k miles. I have only ever run the stock tire size 225/40 & 255/35, or a square 235/45 setup.

It's currently at the dealer so I can try and get BMWNA to goodwill it. Both the dealer and BMWNA customer service rep I spoke to sounded hopeful (without promises, of course). Dealer quoted $4500, while indy shop came in at $3400.

Worst case scenario, if they won't pay for any of the repair, I may end up finding a used diff and doing it myself. Not excited if I have to do that.

Has anyone else had the front diff go out, or had any similar work goodwilled by BMWNA? if so what miles were you at?

I was literally three weeks away from paying off this car and going FBO before this