View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

This is just stupid writing: "The traditional hydraulic clutch gets a bit complicated in a mid-engine vehicle, requiring a hydraulic circuit running from the (rear-mounted) transmission to the passenger compartment and back. A clutch-by-wire system would save weight and eliminate complication, potentially making it easier for an automaker to offer a stick-shift in a mid-engine platform."

First off hydraulic "circuits" don't run "to" and "back", the just run "to"; there is no return line (err circuit). Running a hydraulic line from the firewall (front bulkhead in this case) to a rear-sitting transmission is no more complicated than installing a brake line. Whoever wrote this is either just blabbering on, or doesn't understand the principles of hydraulic mechanisms. The transmission has been in the rear of the Corvette since the C4 with a hydraulic clutch, and the current C7 still offers a hydraulic operated clutch. Plus, there will be no weight savings; any minuscule weight saved by removing the hydraulic line and replacing it with copper/fiberoptic wires will be added back in by whatever servo motor is added to operate the clutch. There are no weight savings benefit and it is far more complicated (software and more parts to break) than a hydraulic operated clutch. I doubt the cost benefit will be realized based on the significant engineering and testing campaign that will be required to bring it to production and meet durability requirements. Plus no matter how good the engineering is, I'd bet there will still be an artificial feel to the clutch operation to those people who grew up on cable and/or hydraulic operated clutches.

I can see, as the article mentions, it tying computer-controlled clutch operation to the engine management system, but other than slight emissions gains, I really can't see a benefit. I'd think any gain is offset by complication of software bugs and eventual faulty operation of the electric clutch mechanism.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-23-2018 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 3