Thread: Winter Setups
View Single Post
      12-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Not a great pic but it was -25F with gusty winds and I hand held this w/o gloves or anything.

Wheels: ASA GT5 (18x8 on all corners)
Tires: Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (225/45R18)
TPMS: Yes
Total: ~ $1800

Pretty happy with them so far. I used to run Alpins on past BMWs and loved them up through Alpin2. I wasn't sure how I felt about the tread pattern for the current Alpin line (Alpin4) and there weren't much as far as reviews at the time...and I think Alpin3 wasn't well received when I googled it for reviews. The Xi3s have been fine in light and moderately deep snow (acceleration from a stop as well as stopping). We also had a day where we had freezing rain and the roads were all iced over. I never had an issue. Even 'testing' traction on an empty back road (i.e. jamming on the brakes), they tires and X1 gripped quite well (between tire grip and traction control). Driving straight and negotiating curves/turns wasn't an issue and I always felt under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I would love to see other's winter rims/tire setups. Please post pics, specs, and commentary if you got 'em.

Here's mine.
Rial x10 17x8 offset 30
Micheline X-Ice Xi3 XL 225/50/17

I've had some snowy days already and they have performed admirably. Better than my old Subaru WRX wagon with snow tires. I like the Rial's because they fit OEM BMW center caps, are cheap, and look very good aesthetically and quality wise. Bought from Tirerack mounted and roadforce balanced.
Did you orderTPMS sensors as well? I paid $1808.46 for my set w/ TPMS. I also ordered from Tire Rack but I have 18's. I would've thought that mine would cost more since I have larger wheels/tires (diameter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise View Post
I have asa GT10 18x8 and 18x9 with Pirelli rft winters. I also run a roof box 390 in black. I'll post pictures of that when I put it on.
Need bigger pix!