View Single Post
      03-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Car Running Even Without the Key?

So I've read that bimmer is supposed to warn us if the key is away and I personally saw this warnings many times. What I haven't tried in the past is driving it without the key and from what I read, there is no specific answer to how far it could go. All I know is that if you turn-off the engine, you can't start it back.

So this weekend, my wife drove the car from NJ to NY for about 30 miles (48 km). We passed by the house so I can change so we didn't turn off the engine as they waited in the car. I was a passenger that time and didn't hear any warning sound or see anything on the dash that the key is not in the car. We only realized that we do not have the key when we turned off the car and can't start again. I have the 35i so I dont have ASS. I called my son and learned that the key is in the jacket that I just took off

Anyone had this issue? Is this supposed to be how this work? This doesn't sound secure at all. I tested if I'll see the warning sign and its working except in that day when we forgot the key.