View Single Post
      04-19-2024, 12:21 PM   #2725
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Let me take this one step further. How relevant are jet fighters PERIOD these days? With unmanned drones and cruise missiles costing gazillions less than a jet fighter and training its meat-to-stick analog interface, it seems like the next generation of warfare will be fought from Nintendo controllers or using fully autonomous aircraft. Look at the havoc that Ukraine is causing the Red Army with stuff that could probably be ordered from Tower Hobbies for under a grand.....
Right, was slow typing the response. With the current events, a lot of built up countries have more and more AA and cheaper, safer methods of causing damage. As flybigjet mentioned, there's always going to be a situation when you need a fork and spoons just wont work.

Going back to the article, I wonder what kind of new jets (or more advanced drones I guess) they will concoct. More than just the human controlled or A to B style they have now. Jamming would be more difficult if there doesn't need to be any communication with the ground too.

Autonomous ground driving might be decades off because of limited degrees of motion, required feedback with traffic signals, signs, pedestrians, other traffic, terrain, road conditions, etc. but in the air there's very little to worry about besides the odd thing trying to blow you up.

Last edited by freakystyly; 04-19-2024 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615493.00