View Single Post
      06-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Carswitchitis Disease: It's not the car, it's you

So I am on my 20th car, and in my mid 40's.

I think I have a problem.

I sold my first car after 6 months, but it was an automatic toyota tercel, so that's understandable

But since then I have always begin to itch for another car soon after getting one. The timing of this does depend on how much I like the car.

So for example the 2015 C7 I had I disliked so much, that after 3 days I wanted back into my 2014 Cayman S.

But even with my 2014 Cayman S, my favourite car of all in terms of driving experience, (I used to go for joy rides with that thing, which is something I hadn't done since I was 20), I was still looking to replace it after about 6 months.

What essentially happens with any car is that it normalizes, and it becomes dull and ordinary, or even worse, sometimes things I once enjoyed become annoyances, or things i kinda never liked about the car start to really annoy me. So with the cayman for example, I started to notice the alternator whine, the rough ride started to annoy, i really felt the lack of low end torque, even the flat six started to feel less than perfectly smooth (I was coming from the n52 in a 2007 Z4 coupe 3.0si which has to be one of the smoothest engines of all time). So one year after I got the car I was already test driving othe cars, looking for my next fix.

With my recent victim, a 2018 m240i, after just 2 months and 2000km, the turbo lag (which is pretty minimal) is getting on my nerves, the clunky and buzzy nature of the shifts at power annoy me, the lack of it's asthetic appeal to me is really gnawing at me...
and so 2 months after getting it, I find myself looking to replace it.

I feel like this is going to happen with any car I get, so I almost getting to the point where I feel like there's no point. I should give up the search for the holy grail...I will tire of even a ferrari 458 at some point.

So I should just get a car that is decent (like the m240i) and live with it for a few years and then make a change (like a normal person )

But if I give up the search for my next fix, I feel this big void looming in my life. Cars are a really passion for me.

Anyhow you can see from my posts that I have struggled with this for a while. Anyone feel the same, did you find a way out?

Last edited by baege; 06-10-2018 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0