View Single Post
      06-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I was a little disconcerted about the lack of volume display at first, but I don't miss it at all. I even now wonder what the point is. I tune music to the volume I want. It's not a number.

This is especially true for me because I like a lot of different music (through an IPod on random), and different music is recorded at varying sound levels. Classical music in particular is often recorded at low levels, requiring raising the volume. Then if a rock track comes on next...WOAH. I can be blasted. So I hit the volume down on the steering wheel. Why do I need to look at a number?

I don't know if anyone knows the Richard Strauss opera "Elektra." In my IS250 I had no IPod display, so I would have to look at my Ipod to know what track was playing, it it was obscure even in my playlist. And I avoided looking at my IPod, as I am kind of finicky about keeping my eyes on the road. So early one morning a track ends and several seconds of silence ensue. I turn the volume way up. I just hear a light humming. It turns out this is the "murder" scene in Elektra, which is almost silent until there is a hideous scream. By the time that scream came, I had the volume quite high. I came very close to driving into the next lane and causing an accident. Luckily it was quite early and all I did was scare myself. Seeing the volume level didn't help me there!
Appreciate 0