View Single Post
      11-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
v34l
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

I had a PM about this unit and I wanted to post my thoughts on it after having it awhile, some of this information I wished I had known about prior.

Basically this conversion is a android tablet running in tandem with the CiC display. It's like having 2 radios in your car but you don't have to flip a switch to change between the two. While the vehicle CAN information also goes to the Android unit, they still exist as separate entities. That means all your OEM functions will work like they had before, however you're going to have to un-pair your Bluetooth from your phone to your car and not pair it again, otherwise the CarPlay will not work.

The Android screen is by default always on, and if you do something like hit the one of the menu or shortcut buttons on the iDrive controller, or you put the car into reverse, the Android system disappears and your original OEM units takes over. It senses when the iDrive menu needs to be displayed and seamlessly switches.

With that said, there is some clunkiness with the interfacing of the two. As mentioned, you can't be connected to your vehicles Bluetooth - you have to be connected to the Bluetooth and Wifi of the Android unit. I have a personal iPhone and a work iPhone. I can get business calls through my old unit but my personal doesn't ring in the headhunt due to CarPlay and I have driving focus turned on by default since iOS 15.

The sound comes from the Android unit into your original unit via 3.5mm AUX input. There is no easy workaround for this that I know of. The sound is decent, however there is a noticeable noise floor that can be heard if you don't have your climate control on. Because the sound comes through that Aux connection, listening to CDs, Sat radio, internal storage, etc turns into a "rub your head an pat your tummy" dance to switch back to the Android unit.

Another gripe is occasionally, the sound will completely drop out and it'll sound like you're sitting in the car with a passenger listening to your music with headphones on. Usually in a couple seconds it returns to normal.

Another quirk is that sometimes in CarPlay, Siri becomes totally inaudible. I don't know what causes this. On the contrary, if you have Waze open and you're cruising along, a VERY LOUD ANNOUNCEMENT may sometimes come over the speakers and scare the shit out of you. Because the iDrive system and the Android system don't have a volume display, it's hard to gauge the level, so you might be straining one time and overwhelmed another. I will say though that the loud Waze blast only happened to me once, where Siri getting quiet happens once a week.

PROS:
  • Duh...CarPlay.
  • way better screen than OEM.
  • Touch capable now!
  • screen makes your aging infotainment system look more modern without shelling out for a new car
  • ease of install and integration with your CANbus. Digital gauge mode! See how many gallons are in your gas tank!
  • ability to use apps without tethering to a proprietary console dock or BMW deciding you're no longer supported
  • retain steering controls and iDrive controls

CONS:
  • Quirky behavior, your mileage may vary
  • Double DAC conversion from Android system to AUX in on OEM unit + noise
  • the resolution of the OEM backup camera is really going to be a pain, especially if you're facing the sun
  • Long boot time to get to CarPlay mode
  • Sometimes your phone just won't pair
  • Driver warnings do not show up on Android screen unless you go into OEM mode.
  • The included music is terrible on the Android unit, just let me get rid of it.
  • The full screen video mode on my screen is stretched due to not being a 19x10 aspect ratio.

At the end of the day though, I'm glad I got it. My only real "dealbreaker" was I wished the audio stayed digital until the OEM headunit, and I wished the two systems were blended more seamlessly.
Appreciate 0