View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #22
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

This is not something new. There are so many patents regarding clutch by wire systems.
Patents regarding the control systems, regarding the actuation etc etc
Regarding the actuation you can use a complete electrical system, but also an electro-hydraulic system etc.
This is just a version how GM is going to do it. Thats why this is such a detailed patent of the whole system. Most patents are much more obscure and divided up in multiple patents so that for a possiby copycat its not quite clear what is and what isnt patented.
Lots of tech that is highlighted in the GM patent is free/unpatented. How the clutch gets actuated, GM describes multiple processes, but that doenst mean others cant use that, as those mechanical acutators (like a ballscrew, wormscrew wheel etc what gm all describes) doenst fall under anyones intellectual property.

Road and track present it as something revolutionairy new, but thats probably because they havent heard of it or think writing it this way sells better.
The Jalopnik piece it references too is written much better.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that this might now be more cheaper to make. The cost of materials is becoming more and more important as the cost of technology is decreasing. This system uses probably less material (no piping, no big brake booster, no slave cylinder etc; just a pedalsensor, an electronic actuator and a control circuit)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-25-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0