09-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #21
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
A lot of auto makers already do that in the auto-tranny. The DCT is a dual clutch automatic that runs two mechanical clutches for alternating gears to minimize gear change times.

It is odd the F1 sequential trannies never ended up in production cars though. That is basically what you are asking for.
As IllSic_Design said, I was trying to be sarcastic... It's a natural progression in cars these say to change mechanical systems to hydraulic systems to fully electronic 'drive-by-wire' systems; which is cool; but once you start second-guessing the user and introducing "safeguards" - basically all it's doing is re-packaging the semi-automatic or automatic gearbox to look more like a manual.

From what I've read the original BMW SMG (single-autoclutch Sequential Manual Gearbox) was similar to the F1 sequential tranny; which was then refined in to the DCT; because running a dual-clutch sequential gearbox is far more user-friendly than a single-clutch sequential. ... of course, it's rather a sensitive topic in some circles if a DCT/SMG (semi-automatic sequential gearbox) should be classed as a manual gearbox, or lumped into the same category as an old-school slushbox automatic gearbox.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if this is an initiative to reduce cost or complexity, then great. If you want 'raw engineering' you can always by a Caterham or a Lotus. But if this is an initiative to protect us from ourselves (by preventing a moneyshift) or to 'enhance the manual shifting experience' somehow - then not only is it as unwelcome as steer-by-wire (see the enthusiasm for the last BMW's that still had hydraulic power steering); but it's a technology that has already been made totally obsolete by DCT.

... Which provides faster, smoother shifting than a manual, lets you dump the clutch into a perfect launch every time, wears the clutch less, handles more power and allows you to change gears without using only one hand to control the rest of the car - but is almost universally hated by 'real drivers' because a) it's not the same as a real manual; and b) some fucktard owners list their DCT cars on carsales as "manual" cars, making it harder to find the 'real' manual cars
Appreciate 0