View Single Post
      11-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #37
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

I just found this thread (and others like it on various BMW and Audi forums) and the reset as described here definitely breathed new life into my 2014 X1 35i M-sport. We bought the car for my wife last year, used with low miles, and I'm guessing the prior owner had driven the thing conservatively and it learned to drive that way (or rather, UN-learned to drive the proper way, proper meaning fast). As described by others posting on this topic, it took an annoying while (half a second?) to get ANY response out of the car when pushing down aggressively on the gas. So merging from a stopped lane of traffic into a moving lane was a complex timing issue - 1) stomp on gas when car I wanted to merge behind was approaching in rear view, 2) get delayed throttle response as car was passing, 3) stay on gas and start moving into the space between that car and the one coming up behind it, 4) hope to hell I timed it right... etc. Super annoying!
When my wife moved on to a bigger vehicle to accommodate our growing kids, I had to decide whether to keep the bimmer or sell it and keep my 2002 WRX (tuned and fun to drive, but getting old and rattly). I'd previously described the situation in detail to the mechanic at our local BMW dealer and he blew it off as "turbo lag" despite my telling him repeatedly that I was certain it was more than that. I'm pretty sure he's truly clueless about this issue, which is concerning on multiple levels. I went so far as to order a Dinan stage 2 ECU flash kit to see if it would help, but before it shipped I chanced upon the TBA reset issue online and having tried it, I turned right around and canceled the Dinan order.
I used the 30-60 sec gas pedal depression technique described in this post (others have recommended stepping on the gas for as little as 5 or 10 seconds to accomplish the reset). I didn't hear any metallic clicking noise, but after the reset the car reacts right away when the gas pedal is depressed. There is still turbo lag, but now it's quite tolerable. I'm definitely keeping the bimmer as my daily driver. For now I'm being careful to maintain an aggressive driving style but if circumstances dictate that I tone it down for long enough for the car to re-learn a sluggish throttle response, I'll just invest another 3 minutes in a re-refresh.
Appreciate 0