View Single Post
      09-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
mkoesel - I agree with many of your points, and please understand that I am not an anti-electric car guy - I think they are pretty cool. They just don't yet fit what I need them for.

Some of my major issues:

1) Large hills. My house sits at an elevation of 5,350 feet. My office is at 1,176. This wrecks havoc with range.

2) Temps. In the summer (or even right now), I regularly have temps that exceed 90 degrees with high humidity. This causes me to max out my aircon usage which impacts range. In the winter, I get about 80" of snow at my house and there are many weeks were the temps stay in the single digits as a low, and rarely exceed 20 as a high. This also impacts range substantially.

3) The nearest electric car charging station of any kind is 68 miles from my house, in the opposite direction I typically travel. The nearest supercharger is 131 miles away. This essentially eliminates my ability to charge anywhere other than my home.

4) Cost. Right now, I pay about $1,400 per year in fuel bills for my commuter car (the MINI). The premium paid for an electric car, combined with the additional expense of a dedicated 240v charger at the home along with the increases in utility bills associated with it, don't really make this a strong value proposition.

I really feel we are still in the "early adopter" stages of electric cars, even though they've been around for quite some time. Until it becomes "easier" or "effortless" to own one, many folks with similar needs and lifestyles to me will be hesitant to purchase one.

I would be interested in one, just not yet due to the drawbacks mentioned above.