View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I'm not discounting what good coilovers (read: the good dampeners that come with coilovers, and their proper body length) bring to the table.

But what is your basis for this statement?
Aside that this entire thread exists about people not being satisfied while I enjoy a ride that is as good or better than stock while using 11k/17k springs....

Quote:
On the H&Rs, the X1 still rides higher than a stock 335 does. At 3800#, the 335 x is right with the X1. No reason a shock built for that car couldn't work.
I have tried it and they will top out on rebound. Have to either have a custom setup done or use a spacer.

Quote:
Maybe more generally, do we even know if the shock body of a 335 koni/bilstein is shorter than that of the X1? Perhaps it's not.
Not sure particularly with Koni, but on KW and JRZ they are shorter. And it varies from damper to damper...JRZ RS1 for 335i xdrive worked while the twintube RS2 design needed to be modified. Basically, it is extremely close and probably too close for comfort in most applications.

Quote:
The reason the car is smacking into the rear stops on BIG high speed jolts is probably, quite simply, that you took away 1.5" of rear travel, and left the bump stops the same length.
Or spring rates are set entirely wrong due to a compromised setup.

Quote:
You jumped right to coilovers...so again...what are you using as the basis for the statement?
Why would you go through all of this expense and trouble when you can get KW V1 for a bit over a grand?

Stuff like the rear end bouncing and the car being unsettled over highway expansion joints just shouldn't happen, it is ridiculous. I would never accept that. I can barely feel highway expansion joints and can go WOT over them while kicking the back end out with zero shimmy or unsettling behavior. Suspensions are complicated, and labor to tweak them is expensive. I have learned this the hard way. Find a shop that actually has a racing program and understands how suspensions work to set up your car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 08-11-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0