Thread: x1 Reliability
View Single Post
      05-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
dragoon6779
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Question x1 Reliability

Hi all,

I just got a nice x1 with 29k miles that was a lease return (held by a salesman's wife). It has all options and the M Sport package.

It is a nice car and suits my wife and I well. I did check consumers reports and a few sites, and found good information regarding the 2015 model, and one site had lots of positive comments from owners (Edmunds?).

However, since then, I have done more reading on quora and in general, as I am pondering an extended warranty (which I have never purchased for a car before).

It seems that lots of people, to include BMW owners and even BMW trained mechanics have indicated the following (in my summary):

A nice handling car that costs more to maintain, and you should certainly maintain it, (even doing extra oil changes between dealer service), and that these cars do not wear well after 50k miles, and the electronics and turbo's, but mostly the electronics, will start to fail, and it will be costly.

It would be understandable if BMW haters said these things, but what is causing me concern is that BMW owners and mechanics seem to be also saying these things.

Unfortunately, I like to keep my cars for a long time, and just gave away my 2005 RX330 Lexus to a family member. This car had only one minor problem (the door mirror came loose). Not bad for a car 13 years old with 115k miles.

Your comments welcomed! And I guess I ought to get the 7 year 75k warranty for 4,200 dollars? Thank you.
Appreciate 0