View Single Post
      05-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
What a load of horseshit. There's nothing wrong with the younger generation at all. What I have noticed is that it's probably just more stratified. There are probably more "good" young people than ever before, and there's lots of shitheads (but there always were). What's different is that there are less in the middle because you have to work a whole hell of a harder as a kid these days if you want the opportunities that post-secondary education and/or entrepreneurship provide.
What's a load of horse shit here? My opinion? If you'll re-read the original post I said nothing of this being directed solely at the younger generation. There are things that I scoff about with the younger generation but my thought expressed here is not aimed directly at them but people in general. Quite honestly I see more of this mentality coming from those between the ages of 30 and 50. I don't disagree with your views on the younger generation. I know some really great hardworking kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Double your tax rates and get back to me.
I plan to. Give me about 2-3 years and I'll get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Don't loose your mind over this. Its life. Its change. Its movement forward.

Children learn values from their parents. These values are reinforced by other institutions, like schools and churches. But, values are also learned and re-inforced other ways. Peer influence is especially strong. "In the olden days" our peer structure was mostly the friends we went to school with, played sports with or worked with, and who came from similar backgrounds, etc. Its completely different today. I think the term "peer" now extends to the entire audience created by social media. We cannot discount the impact and importance of this method of communication. Its powerful and young people are at the leading edge of this.

I agree things have changed. They aren't the same as what we considered the norm. New norms of conduct and values are emerging. I don't think this is necessarily bad, its just different. I see it as part of our cultural evolution. The young will always replace the old and along with that comes different values, different beliefs and different ideas. It can uncomfortable but I see this a inherently positive.
I appreciate your words here and very much agree with your point of peer influence. I think this is exactly where my feeling of the entitlement originates. I also did not take into consideration the area in which the individuals that I speak of reside when making my post. I live in a small southern rural area where many live off of government assistance and those that aren't addicted to meth or opiates work in factories. I hope this paints the picture a little more clearly to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I agree 100%... I can't recall a generation as disrespectful and dumb as the current maybe less barbaric times... you reap what you sow... gl young lads. btw... I am 30 lol
I personally feel that it's not so much generational as it is just a bad influence of attitude and self entitlement that has spread like a disease. Not very many are willing to work to reap the benefits as much as "they" expect things just to come to them or people to take care of them. The lack of respect for those that actually work and make an extra effort to get ahead in life fails to be recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
+1. The myth that today's younger generation is somehow less hard-working and more self-entitled is a load of crock. If anything they are MORE hard-working and feel less self-entitled than our generation.
Your response is very well informed, intelligent and accurate. I concur with all that was stated although I made no mention of this being directed at the younger generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I think what you are saying has been going on for several decades but has simply just worsened exponentially due the internet and especially social media.

It sounds cliche but I just don't have much faith in people anymore. People in the professional world are out to backstab and screw you, people on social media just want attention, people drive like assholes, etc. Everybody's in it for themselves no matter whatever BS they preach. That is why I laugh at people on the far left who despise Trump for being a jerk yet they do scummier things in their own personal lives, and the same goes for people on the far right hating on X Y Z.

I don't trust a single soul outside my mother, father, and my bank account. In general, outside my immediate family and 10-15 close friends I don't care for anybody. I used to not have this attitude and be kinder and more trust of people, until I was repeatedly taken advatange of and harassed by the people I trusted to help me. Screw everyone.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I too have become a bit of a recluse; not because I'm naturally reclusive but because I have grown to realize the exact points that you made. I've actually become a happier person by being less involved in other people's lives. I have a handful of close friends that I consider family, along with my children and my girlfriend I simply no longer associate with anyone. Shutting my facebook account down last year was one of the greatest things I've ever done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
At the end of the day it matters who you know and how big your balls are. That's the best I can put it.
Funny and accurate at the same time. I had a grown ass man tell on me this week at work. This individual has been quoted with "I may not be good at my job, but if I can kiss an ass or two and keep my job, then that's what I'll do." I don't feel that I need to elaborate any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
In my opinion, society changed (for the worse) when spanking your children became "abuse" and we (collectively) stopped doing it.
DING DING DING!!!! WINNER!!! I lost control of my household and my children at an early age. Less than a year into my second marriage, the (then) wife was upstairs sleeping, as she had worked a late shift the night before, my oldest child was downstairs screaming at the top of his lungs for no reason other than his younger brother was annoying him. Sternly I made my point to be quiet as their step-mother was sleeping. Less than a minute later it started again so I swatted his ass and told him it would only get worse if he continued. When I arrived at work, I received a phone call from the schools guidance counselor claiming child abuse. The school sided with my child and the next afternoon I had the Department of Children Services at my home interviewing my wife and I.

I was informed by DCS that I needed to find other avenues of disciplining my children as spanking them was considered physical abuse. I'm going to stop here as I can feel my blood pressure rising from revisiting this, but yes I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Once you quit hearing sir and maam the rest is soon to foller.
This quote has stuck with me since I first heard it. Tommy Lee Jones - No Country for Old Men. Well done.

.....and right you are.
Appreciate 1