07-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Nothing wrong with this. Whys everybody upset? All this means is the next gen x1/1er and those city models will platform share with mini. More cost effective. These arent core bmw models anyway. U guys are acting like the 3er is going fwd or something.....

Look this is still better than vw/audi with their mqb and mlb platform, neither of which is rwd. At best, you can get a mlb longitudinal quattro model, which still uses the haldex center open diff to get at most 60% of the power to the rear.
People are upset because it is diluting the BMW brand/image. The BMW brand became so strong in the US because they sold "Ultimate Driving Machines", that were RWD, 50-50 weight distribution, reasonably light (smaller) and drove/handled great.

FWD cars inherently do not drive as well, since 60-70% of the weight is on the front axle. Honda was able to make "good" handling FWD cars because they used DWS and lightweight chassis, but they were still not as good as RWD Bimmers. BMW can say all they want, but this change is purely for volume and lowering costs (and increase MPG).

My next car will most likely be a 1-series with a NA engine (which the BMW heritage and mystic was built on), before they change to the F20 model. I've driven a Mini, and I definitely prefer the drive of the 1-series over it.
Appreciate 0