05-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #13
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfschim1 View Post
I thought I would post an update of sorts on my supposed oil pan seal leak.

Short story is that I have done nothing about it. I have been watching the oil level closely (both in the engine system check and with the dip stick) I do not detect any loss of oil, any smell of burning oil or signs of oil on my driveway. I understand there is a pan that might collect leaking oil, but it seems odd that if the car was truly leaking oil, or even seeping it would show up in the oil level after 6 months ??

If I truly need to get this fixed I have a few options identified aside from the dealer, but the lowest estimate I could get was $1,400 ... which still seems ridiculous for a $35 oil pan gasket ... and yes, I do know that the job is complicated because so much of the front end has to come out just to do the oil pan seal replacement.

Anyway, it seems fine so far and I'm just going to cross the repair bridge down the road if I ever really need it.

sure makes me leery of BMW dealer service though.
Both N54 and N55 motors are notrious for leaking oil pan gaskets. You can pretty much point at one over 80k and say, oh, it has a pan leak.

To me, its kind of a "cosmetic" mechanical problem, to a point. A small drip or two of oil is not an issue. when they get really bad, they can leave a puddle.

The leaks to be more concerned about are coolant from the actual water pump, valve cover gasket, and oil filter housing/thermostat gasket.

OP, Looks like an expensive weekend! I did the front end service on my 335i, and would not want to do it again anytime soon. Doubly so for the x1 with AWD up front. I would probably do the same if doing the OPG i'd also do the water pump, since its not if but when.

I'm sure it feels good to have that out of the way.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0