01-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #57
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanX1228i View Post
I too am a relatively new owner of a 2015 X1 28i. (Feb 18) and thrilled to be a part of this community.
I wish I would have known about the thermostat recall extension!!!...Thanks for posting though...That certainly may help my slight situation I have...

Recently had a “chk engine” light & low coolant light happen around same time. Took to Advanced Auto for code reading, (P0597). Saw cost of dealer fix online so decided to replace the thermostat, cleared code-all good there!...but still have a phantom coolant leak.

Not a fast one, but I took a 180mile trip recently with ac on and low and behold, low coolant warning again. I assume the ac is getting the engine hotter.

Recently changed oil, no signs of coolant there. I like to do all my own work (as long as it’s semi light work) otherwise I go to Indy.

Any suggestions?

That is the code you will get for a faulty thermostat, so most likely you can get it replaced under warranty. I didn't have any issues with loss of coolant, so you may have a separate issue going on there..... You can call the BMW Corporate number to confirm you are covered under the thermostat warranty before bringing it into the dealer, which is what I did, then you can provide that information to the service rep. I would mention you are losing coolant as well, hopefully then it is covered under the one diagnostic fee for the thermostat (BMW Paid).

I normally avoid the dealership like the plague, but if they cover the repairs on their faulty parts I will go back in.

Let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0