View Single Post
      05-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Clunk from front suspension when stopping or going

Over the course of the past week or so, I've noticed that my car has developed a single, dull clunk from the front suspension each I come to a moderate stop and also begin moving from a complete stop. It seems to be right in front of my foot when it is on the pedal, as I can feel it through the floor board. If I were to describe it, I would say it feel like as if the subframe or part of the suspension was shifting forward and backward just slightly as movement of the vehicle stops/starts. Strangely, it's only noticeable once things warm up. (After driving a few miles)

I have noticed that when turning a left turn the clunk becomes more rapid. It's not a click or a vibration and it's not a uniform sound. Also does not change based on the speed of the car. Just a sporatic dull clunk, clunk, clunk, most likely from the suspension adjusting as the vehicle jostles while moving. It is most apparent when turning to the left.

If it helps diagnose the issue - My car has been lowered for about a year on H&R springs with Bilstein B6 shocks and struts. I did trim the internal bump stops according to the advice given by members on the forum. I did not change any bushings or end links at the time of installation. Car has been aligned and wear pattern is perfect, although the pot holes and general road condition where I live are absolutely atrocious this time of year.

I took both front wheels off last night and everything seems properly torqued, including the nut on the top and bottom of the strut itself. Nothing seems to wiggle abnormally. There struts themselves look great with no leaking or anything like that.

Anyone have an idea what I should take a closer look at?

Last edited by spoolinX1; 05-02-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0