05-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #76
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassrebel View Post
Let's revive this... this was a very informative thread and it shouldn't be dead...

I'm moving from FL to CT in a month and as such, would like to be prepared with quality all-season tires...

My C300 is already equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are wonderful... not an issue...

Now... my X1 has Cinturato's RFT in the front and Firehawk Indy500 in the rear (weird), so I'm probably going to be getting the Continental Xtreme Contact DSW. Since then my X1 runs only Conti DWS.

Just wanted to say thanks for all that gave valuable info here!
I am coming back with an update in regards with the Continental DWS

As I have mentioned all this time in this thread, since I have replaced the Run flats, my choice was Continental DWS.
Very good tire with an excellent compromise and the best of all of them -that fit our 225/45/18- in winter. It handled very harsh winter with no fuss or problems. No hassle, no dealership.

My first set was Made in Germany
My second set was Made in Portugal
Starting 2018 they started to make them in USA

In 2018 I have installed my first Made in USA set.
I need to mention that this set of tires was a nightmare.
Tires take the floor shape over night and they wobble in the morning until they get warm and regain the shape.
Went to the dealership 4 times wrongfully accusing the service department for not balancing the wheels properly and for a wrong Road Force adjustment. Each time it was necessary to readjust, rebalance and re-rotate the tires on the mags as they looked like nothing was done. Last balancing and road force was done in my presence so I can see.
After 4 resets (I admire my dealership help and patience) we figured that the tires are wrong.
Called Continental, they sent a new set of tires 3 months later to replace this set.
The second set is better but still shakes and wobbles when tire is cold.
Never managed to have a proper, balanced set of wheels and car still shakes today as the tires do not maintain their shape.

Called Continental again, they did not wanted to replace again. Asked for specific "made in Europe" tires and ready to pay, but they don't have any.
I am at 80% -85% now but thinking to replace the tires again.

But, I am in a such limbo about it that I really do not know what the heck should I do. I do not want a similar set. Looked at Michelin but they are not as good in the winter as DWS. DWS have half winter, half summer pattern and they did proved to be a good tire overall. Really good.

But, it seems that the compound, or the reinforcement, or the manufacturing process, whatever it is, it is not as good as their European counterpart.

I am struggling with the dilemma as we speak and do not know in which direction should I go. But obviously do not want to "bite the dust" again.

I will get back with un update as soon as I have decided and made the changes.

Just wanted to let the others know that while the tire is a very good one, the USA made ones are far from what I used to have. Maybe they did improved and got better; don't know.

If someone has a brand new set installed please let us know your conclusion.
Appreciate 0