View Single Post
      09-16-2023, 10:46 PM   #51
JohnRS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 X1

BMW E84 X1

Hi, I am new here, first time post and thank your for the helpful comments as they made me want to joint this group.

Two things about oil: I live in boiling Fort Lauaderdale, FL where temperature is always at least 90 degrees usually 98 in summer. My BMW service manual that I bought, says Castrol Euro version SH or higher 5w-40 oil is for the heat. I use that without problems. I recommend the Euro version but it may not be needed.

SECONDLY and more important! How many quarts? I strongly recommend putting in ONLY the 5 quart jug. Two reasons; first I measured the oil i took out and it was 5 quarts. So 5 qts out 5 qts in. Previously I had to pay $1300 to change my valve cover gasket and I believe it was from putting in 5.6 qts when that was not needed.

So this is a word of caution. Too much oil has to leak out somewhere. I am not sure this was my problem but I had 50K mileage and it needed a valve cover gasket?

I second the notion that the oil measuring sensor is almost worthless. It only reads full even though it appears to have sensitive measuring points. Do not overfill and have a great day!
Appreciate 0