View Single Post
      12-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Yo whattap everyone. I am going to chime in here because I am a determined dude and found myself in exactly the same scenario as OP.

So gotta 13 E84 EWG X1. Super fun car got a nicely spec'd one. wanted more power but didnt want an N55 cuz i already have an N54 project car.

Slapped a no kitty dp on it and woohoo like the sound, time for more boost. Easy right? Wrong.

No, Bootmod3 doesnt work on E chasis and MHD and others dont have options for e series n20. I knew the JB4 was an option but tbh I have gone through that on my N54 already and was not interested in doing it again.

I really wanted a flash tune option because being in MA, i have very strict yearly emissions. Gotta get this cel off my dash.

Searched and searched and searched online. Got frustrated but kept at it and finally my searching paid off, I discovered what I understand to be the only flash tune option available for E84 N20 cars from a reputable performance software vendor, Active Autowerke. Who would of thought. Boom:

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...oftware-tuning

E84 N20's have cock blocked access (factory encryption) to flash the dme through the OBD2 port. This means the end user is unable to install this tune. You must either:
1 have it installed at an AA licensed retailer or
2 remove your dme and ship to AA in florida.

I opted for Option 1 as Import Autowerkes in Braintree MA is a licensed dealer. Alvin over there hooked me the fuck up, this process is NOT straight forward. AA engineers worked on my car for a week remotely. Because of this, I highly recommend option 2 over option 1. It was a learning experience but it overall would have been faster and simpler for the engineers if they had my dme on the bench.

End result is holy fuck I was returned a different car. It is more torquey than I ever would have expected. AA quotes gains of 50/70 at the wheels on a stock car which I am not with my dp!

Super nervous yet to pass inspection. I have a light on currently for upstream O2 whoch needs replacing. After that, they are telling me my car is ready to go to the inspection bay. Off road tune option (had to sign waiver) has set the cat monitor to ready or so I am told. I will check obviously before hand. Anyone know if I should be nervous for inspection? Only mods on the car are DP and tune so if I am sent to MAC its little effort to revert the car but my god I want to avoid that.

Cheers we found a solution for this