12-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
rangerjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 E84 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
Welcome to the X1 Club!!!

I have the same set up as you and I bought it almost exactly a year ago. It's been a great car so far!

I have a bit of an elevation gain/loss during my commute of about 1,600', but I average 23 mpg. I hardly ever use eco mode or sport mode.... When doing a long highway/freeway road trip I have turned on eco mode and got right around 30 mpg average for a trip. You will never see 30 mpg with mixed city/highway driving though.

There are a couple BMW extended warranties you should be aware of that cover items outside of the normal warranty period.

1. Thermostat replacement - Extended to 10 years/120k miles I believe, as they have known issues with the thermostats failing open... Happened to me last month at 40k miles and the replacement including labor was fully covered by BMW.

2. Timing chain - There is an extended warranty for this item as well, but I don't believe it is as long. Possibly 6 years / 60k miles. There have been a few engine failures due to timing chain/timing chain guides failing. I honestly need to research this one a bit..... Would like to see if there is a possibility of getting it proactively replaced by the stealership, as it sounds like once it fails complete engine failure is common.

There are some good aftermarket screen/stereo add-ons that update the interior a bit. Basically the only modification I have made or currently plan to make to mine have been to the stereo. The factory BMW bluetooth is garbage....

Good Luck!

That's all super helpful Wes! Thanks! I am up in ANC every year between mid March and mid May visiting friends and skiing in the region. If your X1 is handling that environment well I should be all set here in VT.
Appreciate 0